anchoring plants, planting, and maintanance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Electrobes

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay I currently have red ludwigia, Anacharis, wiseria, and banana plants. I have a problem with the red ludwigia and the anacharis. what does one do to keep them bunched together, how does one make them stay in a spot when they have no roots, and is cutting them and planting the top portion THAT necessary, is there an easier way of doing this? Thanks all!! 8)

you can buy plant anchors, basically they are strips of lead that you wrap around the roots...they won't move.

which plant are you talking about cutting and planting?

anacharis will root if given enough time, then when they get too long, just cut the plant about 1" from the gravel and it will grow at least two new stalks rather quickly

ludwiga would probably do the same thing, I don't think it will 'branch' like anacharis however.

when I was planting an experimental tank yesterday, I was supprised to find anacharis actually stayed in the substrate without any weights, provided the piece was small enough and pushed deeply enough in (about 1.5") ... of course, strip off all the leaves first for the part going into the gravel ... the substrate is sand, soil and clay ... probably the sand helps hold it good

hmm.. I forgot to strip the leaves off the anacharis when I did prune them :mrgreen: I have laterite mixed in with aquarium gravel, and anacharis actually stays in the ground fairly well, but man the ludwigia is such a pain tomanage, which is a shame because I like them the best! But oh well thats what having an aquarium is about right? Besides once I get my driftwood piece, THEN its on baby! :twisted:

Does Lead not do anything to the water if you use them as weights? Or is there a better way of anchoring them, thanks for helping the clueless :oops:

The easiest answer is I don't know. I just know that that's the method a few lfs (the good ones) use. The next time I go I'll ask them about it.

Does Lead not do anything to the water if you use them as weights?

The weights are not actually lead, not sure exactly what metal, but they are save for aq use. They were developed especially for this purpose and wont hurt anything.

yay.. then I can stop driving myself up the wall :evil: whenever I plant my red ludwigias.. it always drives me nuts :twisted: :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom