Angelfish planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And also, my current plan is...
Fish:
6 angelfish (to be a pair)
6 german blue rams (to be a pair)
3 clown loaches (to combat otherwise plant harming snails)

Plants:
Blue Hygrophila
Hygrophila
Anacharis
Anubias 'nana'
Java moss
Tiger Lotus
Amazon sword
Maybe Hornwort

I was also hoping to add some small, peaceful schooling fish that fits in with everything. And do I need the clowns or is there another way to combat snails? Thanks

You'll definitely want a T5HO fixture if you want to grow the Tiger Lotus.

I would definitely swap out the clown loaches since those guys will get big enough to need a tank 100g+. If you're worried about snails, pick up some assassin snails. They'll eat all the other snails fairly quickly. About 2-3 should do the trick.

Normally I'd say Danios would be a good match for your fish, but after checking your current stocking levels I don't think that would be a good idea... It looks like your current list is pretty full for that tank even after you take out the clowns. I wouldn't try to fit anything else in that tank besides the angels and rams, as the 6 angels will take up quite a bit of room once they're full grown.

I know but I don't plan on keeping all the angels forever. Just until I can determine a pair. Then I could get rid of the other four fairly quickly. And where would I get some assassin snails? Thanks.

I know but I don't plan on keeping all the angels forever. Just until I can determine a pair. Then I could get rid of the other four fairly quickly. And where would I get some assassin snails? Thanks.

Ahhh, now I get what you mean. If you're only planning on keeping a pair of angelfish and a pair of the rams then you have a lot of flexibility on what else to add. Danios would work great, as do any of the larger tetras (Serpae, Black Skirt, etc). I'd avoid the smaller kinds as the Angels might try to eat them. Cory cats or some of the smaller loach types (dwarf chain loach, zebra loach, etc) are other options if you want some bottom dwellers, but bear in mind they need a group of 4+. Platies or swords might work too. Some folks have had success with gourami and angels, but it tends to be a little hit or miss.

Assassin snails can either be found at your LFS (assuming its a decent store, not one of the big box ones like Petco/Petsmart) or online.

Most snails don't eat healthy plant btw. My Jungle has plenty of snails and if you check my albums I have lots of plants.

You may be able to get a pair of Rams without buying 6. Bolivians are easier btw. German Rams are more sensitive. You might look at Apistos instead, lots of choices. I like the Cockatoos.

zooking12 said:
Ik but I can never get my hands on any fish in that genus but ramerizi. and Germans tend to stay smaller.

Ah ok. Just keep your water pristine and stable for GBRs. At least here they can be rather delicate at first. Beautiful fish though. I hope to try them if I move and have room for a larger tank.

Well i hope you do. I've kept some wild ones before. Holding them for a friend. They were substantially more hardy than evryone said, although a little jumpy at first. Whether it was because they were wild type or just magnificent individuals o rmy water was just that good I'll never know, but they were great. (better than some people give them credit for). So, good luck in your endeavors.

zooking12 said:
Well i hope you do. I've kept some wild ones before. Holding them for a friend. They were substantially more hardy than evryone said, although a little jumpy at first. Whether it was because they were wild type or just magnificent individuals o rmy water was just that good I'll never know, but they were great. (better than some people give them credit for). So, good luck in your endeavors.

Thank You. Some of my Club members have them and breed them. :)

Nice. By the way, I got the angels and the guy at my pet store told me that electric blues are better than the regular ones. Is that true? Also, one of my angels got very aggressive the morning after when I put them in the tank (last night) and it seemed to be triggered by food. I removed her but is there anyway to curb that or do I just wait? How long before I return her or just give her away? Right now she's in a 38 gallon tank (24h x 32l x 12w) with a pair of kribs going through some marital issues. Is that okay? What comes next? Thanks

zooking12 said:
Nice. By the way, I got the angels and the guy at my pet store told me that electric blues are better than the regular ones. Is that true? Also, one of my angels got very aggressive the morning after when I put them in the tank (last night) and it seemed to be triggered by food. I removed her but is there anyway to curb that or do I just wait? How long before I return her or just give her away? Right now she's in a 38 gallon tank (24h x 32l x 12w) with a pair of kribs going through some marital issues. Is that okay? What comes next? Thanks

Angels establish a pecking order. It's normal. They are Cichlids. As long as she/ he isn't constantly being a bully, it's ok.

Oh, ok. I considered that, but what constitutes as constant? She is always chasing the other fish away, but it hasnt been that long i guess. And she is the biggest, if only by a little (all quarter sized). So ok, it normal. I should move her back, then?

zooking12 said:
Oh, ok. I considered that, but what constitutes as constant? She is always chasing the other fish away, but it hasnt been that long i guess. And she is the biggest, if only by a little (all quarter sized). So ok, it normal. I should move her back, then?

I would. I feed baby Angels twice a day. Frozen Bloodworms and Brine Shrimp and quality flake.
Live Brine or worms is great !!

Awesome. I feed mine twice a weekday, onceweekends and break days, and none once a week, normally a week day. Week days is a variety of pellet, flake, granule, crisp, etc. Weekends is a random assortment of frozen brine shrimp, bloodworms, daphnia, and maybe mysis shrimp. Although every once in a blue moon they get live brine shrimp. And very rarely (like once every 4-8 months) they get like a week of small feedings of egg yolk. Or at least thats how it was before. I plan on sticking with that for the 6 angels I have now, as well as the 2 electrics and 4 german blues and whatever schooling fish I plan on getting. Thoughts?

zooking12 said:
Awesome. I feed mine twice a weekday, onceweekends and break days, and none once a week, normally a week day. Week days is a variety of pellet, flake, granule, crisp, etc. Weekends is a random assortment of frozen brine shrimp, bloodworms, daphnia, and maybe mysis shrimp. Although every once in a blue moon they get live brine shrimp. And very rarely (like once every 4-8 months) they get like a week of small feedings of egg yolk. Or at least thats how it was before. I plan on sticking with that for the 6 angels I have now, as well as the 2 electrics and 4 german blues and whatever schooling fish I plan on getting. Thoughts?

Sounds like a great variety. I do read ingredients on my flakes. Some have so much filler ( like fog foods ) that I now feed foods with more meat, less Wheat.

So, just to recap also, the fish stock of:
6 angelfish (quarters)
2 clown loaches
2 male guppies
3 female guppies
6 guppy fry
-to-
6 angelfish (half dollar)
3 electric blue rams
3 german blue rams
-to-
2 angelfish (adult; pair)
1-2 pairs of rams (whatever assortment they chose)
3 male black phantom tetras
5 female black phantom tetras
8 cardinal tetra

Hows that sound?

Back
Top Bottom