Annoyed with wisteria- what's another option?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gabysapha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have more wisteria than anything else in my tanks. It was a great plant to start with, because it's hard to kill! It looks great in both my higher light and super-low light tanks.

But I'm tired of it. It spreads too much, and my attempts of creating a planted tank I'm happy with are always beaten down by wisteria

do you have recommendations for plants that do well in low light but are a little more restrained in growth? I have a densely planted tank that my fish love, but wisteria just takes over too much. My cuter plants like ludwigia are just swallowed by it :(

What about java fern, anubias, or African fern. All three are low light and rhizome plants. African kinda looks like wisteria to me.

Atxpunx said:
What about java fern, anubias, or African fern. All three are low light and rhizome plants. African kinda looks like wisteria to me.

Yes I think that's about all I have to choose from, except they grow so slowly!

I wonder what stem plants I can choose that can replace wisteria?

Bacopa plants are stems and low lights. None look like wisteria though. Not sure of the full names except bacopa australis but that a mid to foreground placement plant.

What size is the tank and how many watts you have over it? The Ludwigias always seemed to grow like weeds in my tank. Even when the autodosers were off and the CO2 shut down, they still kept growing like crazy.

Nevermind on the bacopa. Australis an moneywort were the only good options. I just looked them up on plantgeek

meegosh said:
What size is the tank and how many watts you have over it? The Ludwigias always seemed to grow like weeds in my tank. Even when the autodosers were off and the CO2 shut down, they still kept growing like crazy.

Oh sorry, 29g w/ 17watt, 10g with 15 watt, 20gH with 15 watt. All are the bulbs that came with the standard hood. Seachem flourish dosed twice a week.

Honestly, my ludwigia does not grow. At all. Ever. I have some kind of rotofundialladhaka..... thing... And that grows a little better. It's also greeny pinky. Oh but narrowleaf ludwigia is growing well!

I have some pennywort, which does not grow either! It's a sad plant. I thought it wss supposed to grow better than that :(

Maybe I should get a stronger light over the 29g at least....

The reason i ask is to order plants before it gets too too too cold, and i don't know what to order!

Thing about wisteria is that if you just leave it to its own devices, it gets all gnarly and disgusting. I always yank out my wisteria and replant the tops just to keep it from getting to cocky.

aqua_chem said:
Thing about wisteria is that if you just leave it to its own devices, it gets all gnarly and disgusting. I always yank out my wisteria and replant the tops just to keep it from getting to cocky.

Exactly! It's ugly once it grows. But i don't know what i can use to replace it!

Back
Top Bottom