Another Help Me Solve My Algae Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bcarl_10gal

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys,

Long story short is I have been studying for the CPA exam and this hobby has taken a backseat. I have been having an issue trying to keep with my tank and I have started having issues all of a sudden. It started with a green hair algae (potentially from a iron overdose?) Then I had my star repens melt out of know where. I though the problem was solved when there was 0 phosphate in the tank... WRONG! I have RO water and I add seachem equilibrium for micros and brought my pH up to 6.9, KH up to 8 and GH to 8. I stopped dosing the iron and the algae is still growing and some more plants are melting. I dose a "modified" pps pro method, phosphates are at 2ppm, nitrates 10ppm. One thought is I do not add the magnesium should I? I run the lights for 7 hours and lowered the intensity to try to help... What are your thoughts that could cause the plants to melt and algae persist?

How is your pps pro "modified"?
What lights do you run?
What size tank is this?

This is the 26 gallon with a BML LED. By modified I dose more potassium and leave out MgSO4. I also changed the ML dosing amounts so the tank stays at 1-2ppm phosphate and 10-15ppm nitrates.

This is the 26 gallon with a BML LED. By modified I dose more potassium and leave out MgSO4. I also changed the ML dosing amounts so the tank stays at 1-2ppm phosphate and 10-15ppm nitrates.

What's the micro mix that you are using?

That's a tough one, I would try dropping your photoperiod down to 6 hours daily and spot treat the hair algae with hydrogen peroxide.

I'm not sure what ppm your magnesium will be with the equilibrium, but I would add it just in case that's one of the issues at hand.

Ive tried to spot treat the algae with either peroxide and or metricide and it does not kill it.

From what i've learned about the magnesium deficiency is that it may present in older leaves/stems and make holes similar to a potassium deficiency. There is no possible way I have a potassium deficiency. The other thing is after I get a new plant it will grow great for a while then it will slow over time to almost no growth until the leaves just die... Another trait of magnesium deficiency. I also have Seiryu stones which I believe increase my GH and therefore doesnt accurately show the true amount of Mg:Ca in the water. I am going to pick up a Ca test kit this weekend to figure out Mg:Ca ratio.

Here are some pics

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415156220.689225.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415156220.689225.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 78
  • ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415156299.131881.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415156299.131881.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 88
  • ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415156409.228949.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415156409.228949.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 92
Im new to planted but do you have any snails?

I was having a similar issue. My snails were the best natural algea fighters. Mystery, small red ramshorn and Nerite work great on my plants. MY MTS come out at night and wipe the glass. Their bioload for what they do is a fine trade off.
I was having a problem with algae on my driftwood and I added 2 amano shrimp.
Between my BN pleco (who FINALLY realized wood algae is great), my shrimp and my snails the thing is almost clean. Those shrimp are algae killers.

As for hair algae on plants. I have some on my wisteria. Its mainly on the dying leaves. I just rip off the dead stuff and replant and wipe off what I may want to keep.
I recently (like JUST recently) reduced my LED lighting time.

I hear to make sure any dying or dead plant material and food matter is always cleaned out as well because that promotes growth. Id soon enough do some water changes to clear out whats causing it and just remove the decaying plants with growth. Im no pro though by ANY means.

Get Amano Shrimp, they are fun to watch to. They have balls the size of trucks for such little shrimp. My angel and Molly go to examine them and the shrimp just flick them out of their business, its hysterical cause my ghost shrimp run like crazy but these guys (or girls i think) pretty much took run of the tank.

I had amano shrimp before and they are awesome! I ordered some on monday and they will arrive today! I have been wanting to get some again anyways. I had nerites before but they died since my pH was below 7....

Yesterday I made a spreadsheet to track every macro and micronutirent to identify where I was over dosing and under. I was over on iron like I thought and under on Mg and Ca. I've started dosing Mg and I am picking up a test kit to validate the Ca assumption tomorrow.

Probably the most prominent issue was being a little short on CO2. I kicked it up yesterday and noticed some plants pearling 5 hours AFTER the tank lights had gone off......

Your algae issues are most likely co2 related.

Bmls kick out huge PAR, i have one too so i know this. Highly intense lighting needs extremely good CO2 sources. This is where you should look first.

Are you running pressurised? Or just metricide??

Also by raising the kH you have made it harder for the water to hold CO2 (easy terms) and therefore will be less available for plants.

Give plants great CO2 and algae will be kept at bay far easier

I had amano shrimp before and they are awesome! I ordered some on monday and they will arrive today! I have been wanting to get some again anyways. I had nerites before but they died since my pH was below 7....

Yesterday I made a spreadsheet to track every macro and micronutirent to identify where I was over dosing and under. I was over on iron like I thought and under on Mg and Ca. I've started dosing Mg and I am picking up a test kit to validate the Ca assumption tomorrow.

Probably the most prominent issue was being a little short on CO2. I kicked it up yesterday and noticed some plants pearling 5 hours AFTER the tank lights had gone off......

I was thinking of trying my hand at a DIY co unit eventually. I need some algea though for my eaters and honestly a little bit to me looks natural and nice.
My tank is new and so far so good (knocking on wood).

Skully,

Great point about the KH and reducing the CO2 absorption. I didnt think about that... I wanted to increase the pH since it was around 6.7. Ill add some acid buffer to bring the KH to around 6-7.

The amount of CO2 i use on this tank is crazy compared to my 10 gal. I used about one 24oz tank in 3 months on that tank... This tank is about 3 weeks. I just need to embrace the reality of the BML power instead of denying it lol!

Well, Just got back from my LFS... Calcium levels where actually good... 60ppm. So I am not really sure what the problem is. Picked up some SAE's to take care of the existing hair algae. Saw this spot developing on some new growth on my star repens... Also I dose about 8ppm of potassium a day is this enough?

Attachments

• IMG_0797.JPG
    IMG_0797.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 67
Well, Just got back from my LFS... Calcium levels where actually good... 60ppm. So I am not really sure what the problem is. Picked up some SAE's to take care of the existing hair algae. Saw this spot developing on some new growth on my star repens... Also I dose about 8ppm of potassium a day is this enough?

Problem 1) too much light
Problem 2) inadequate co2 for the light you have

You can focus on your calcium and whatever other nutrient you want but if your dosing pps pro properly then your looking in the wrong direction. Maybe try EI instead then you KNOW there's no nutrient deficiency

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

If I had success with the tank and got star repens to carpet like that how could I have too much light and not enough CO2? I run pressurize CO2 at 3 bps...

Star repens is a very easy plant to grow. Will do fine even at low light

Good luck with your algae issues. Hope you get your calcium level right where you want it

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I had a little hair algae growing on my on my wisteria. A brand new red ramshorn already cleared about 90% off the leaves. Didn't even think it would be interested.
Those leaves are getting pruned off tonight anyway.

Sk3lly you win, on a whim I rechecked my CO2 reference solution to see what the KH was..... It was 8 soooo CO2 deficient it is..... Time to remake my solution

Back
Top Bottom