Another Lighting Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bcarl_10gal

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been debating lighting options for my new 26 gal bow front. I plan on using my 18" Satellite + and one more light to put me in the medium-high light range. I have been debating a BML but am looking for a more budget friendly light. The tank is 20" deep and of course pressurized CO2. What other options do I have?

P.S. Build thread may start in a few weeks!

I have been debating lighting options for my new 26 gal bow front. I plan on using my 18" Satellite + and one more light to put me in the medium-high light range. I have been debating a BML but am looking for a more budget friendly light. The tank is 20" deep and of course pressurized CO2. What other options do I have?

P.S. Build thread may start in a few weeks!

I just ordered a current satellite. :)

I have one already and love it but I am unsure how much light 2 would provide at 20"

I've setup and maintain a 26g bow front at my parents. It's medium light with CO2 injection. I'm using a 24" Current Sat+ and a Fluval Aquatic life & Plant LED. They just so happen to fit exactly over the glass versa top.

Another option would be to get a Finnex Planted+ to work with that Sat+. The Finnex fixtures are a little skinnier so it "should" fit. However, it is a silver fixture. You can probably mask off the splash shield and give the fixture a black spray paint to match. Just an idea.

Edit:
I did try 2 Sat+ lights. It's another good option but a little less light than the previously mentioned, but still medium light.
ilCslA9uL3cvY.jpg

Last edited:
So 2 satellite plus' would fit over the tank. How much light output could i expect from a planted + and my satellite plus. Also i hear that current may be releasing a higher light fixture in may but it might be outside my ideal price point.

With two Sat+ lights, you'll be at about 50 to 56 PAR. Medium is between 30 to 80 I believe. But yeah, current will be coming out with their new lights very soon. One under Current and the other under Ecoxotic.

Maybe you should wait. If its priced too high for your taste, you might see some used Sat+ lights from those looking to upgrade.

Good point, is there any consensus on the actual PAR output on a finnex planted +

I'm not sure if they have released accurate PAR numbers for the planted+ yet. Last time I checked they were having trouble getting them because the red wavelength (660 nm) with a typical APOGEE quantum PAR meter was not registering. Must be beyond its scope. They needed a more advanced and much more expensive PAR meter to get those values.

But I'd imagine the PAR falls between a regular Fugeray and Ray 2. I'm a big fan of the dedicated red diodes in the Planted+. I believe it adds benefit to plant growth.

Last edited:
Well that depends on your goals for the tank. If you're cool with medium light plants and don't care too much about developing color, then you'd be okay I believe. You'll probably be around the lower part of medium light. You'll still be able to grow a whole lot. But if you want compact growth and colorful stems, typical of a "high tech" high light tank, then you'd probably need to supplement the lighting somehow.

I think the BML is more up the task for high tech / high light. Or wait for the Current/Ecoxotic release of their new higher output Planted LEDs. Should be anytime now.

Brian do you think that a Ray 2 with the current + give me enough light to get the red plants to color up? Does the Ray 2 have too much blue in the spectrum?

Brian do you think that a Ray 2 with the current + give me enough light to get the red plants to color up? Does the Ray 2 have too much blue in the spectrum?

Yeah I think the Ray 2 will overpower the Sat+ and wash out your colors a bit. I'd rather get the planted+. BML would be most ideal if it weren't so expensive.

The main thing I have against the BML is I feel like I would be dimming it down to the same light level I can achieve for half the price(XB series has too much light for what I need). But I think you have a good point to sacrifice a little PAR from the Ray 2 by going with the planted plus to increase the red spectrum. I think ill go with the planted plus.... unless the new e-series releases the specs before I order! :)

You'll like it!! It's a great little light for under $100, can't argue that, I have some cardinales growing beautifully under mine in a 16" tank, I also have a t5 no with rosette bulb which may be helping a bit as well..

Back
Top Bottom