Another name that plant thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alan79

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all.
I have a three plants in my tank that i don't know the name of. One is too well hidden in my tank to take pics of so it stays out of this thread for now.

I got the green leaved plant with yellow patterns in a mixed bunch. It struggled for nearly 2 months but might be finding a new lease of life with a few new leaves that haven't fallen off. I guess it may be Pothos vine? Anyone know for sure?

Next is an unknown variety of Ludwigia. My tank is low light but the leaves that do reach the surface turn an orange brown on top and a nice pink beneath. Leaves get to about 5-6cm. I have applied no ferts to the tank except for a couple of API root tabs that weren't that close to the ludwigia. I'm guessing it's repens. Any ideas?

Any help would be appreciated.

Excuse the poor image quality and the lack of uniformly sized images. I'm not good with these things

Woop woop. Plant number two is Pilea Cadierei. Part of my first load of plants when i began planting included that and a purple/red waffle plant. Neither are supposed to survive immersed but they're still going for me after three months. If i tried growing them emersed they would die through lack of water. the waffle plant now has green leaves butis making a slow return to health.

The first one looks like alt reinecki. It takes a while to start to grow but once it does it grows a lot. I started with three stems and three months later it has claimed an entire corner of my 10 gallon high light tank. I have had to trim it several times. Add some root tabs and it needs medium to high light.

The first one looks like alt reinecki. It takes a while to start to grow but once it does it grows a lot. I started with three stems and three months later it has claimed an entire corner of my 10 gallon high light tank. I have had to trim it several times. Add some root tabs and it needs medium to high light.

Thanks WildRose. It was sold as a Ludwigia and had been grown emersed but took off immediately when i put it in my tank (5 stems became well over 30 in about 2 weeks after tipping stems). Alt reineckii would need more light than i have in my tank i think so i suspect it's a Ludwigia. The variety of Ludwigia is a mystery though. How are the tanks in your RV coming along. I'll have to find that thread again and look at your progress..

If it was labeled a Ludwigia than it is probably ludwigia repens x l. arcuata. It looks similar to alt reineckii. Or at least it does too me. LOL

I haven't moved into the RV yet. I am having to gut it and rebuild because the water damage was worse than what I thought. So I decided to just re-frame and rewire for 110 power. I also keep breaking bones and that has put me behind. Currently finishing a room I added to my Dad's house and waiting for the weather to clear some.

Ludwigia glandulosa would also be a good guess. Neither of the pictures are good enough for me to me confident in an ID though.

I did try comment earlier but wouldn't post. Technical difficulty :) After Aqua_Chem solved a planted id of my own (thanks again) I did a web search of his opinion of the first pic and agree with him. All I can say is wow can it ever get red and I want one! :D

If it was labeled a Ludwigia than it is probably ludwigia repens x l. arcuata. It looks similar to alt reineckii. Or at least it does too me. LOL

I haven't moved into the RV yet. I am having to gut it and rebuild because the water damage was worse than what I thought. So I decided to just re-frame and rewire for 110 power. I also keep breaking bones and that has put me behind. Currently finishing a room I added to my Dad's house and waiting for the weather to clear some.

L. Arcuata looks pretty nice too. If i ever find some of it i'll give it a run in my tanks.

Haha. I don't think i have checked that thread since you spoke about water damage. I hope it doesn't cost the earth to repair. I'm working towards the $4k i'll need to repair my car at the moment so i know how fun it is to have to fork out for repairs at christmas time :( I hope it's not too long till you are able to get started with your journey.

The first one almost looks like hygrophila

I plan to buy some sunset hygro pretty soon. When i buy some fish from the aquagreen catalogue i'll be looking to purchase some from there too. I could easily spend a full paycheck on aquagreens range and probably still want different things from them. Such great variety for an Australian company.

Ludwigia glandulosa would also be a good guess. Neither of the pictures are good enough for me to me confident in an ID though.

Haha. I took the photos with my laptop so sorry about the image quality. Fingers crossed thats what it is. I'd love to see a lot more red in my tanks. I just bought some Crypt red undulata a week ago but i don't know if it will redden up with t8 lighting. I don't think it will but i won't always have low light. Will upgrade my lighting pretty soon.

I agree with Robby. Also the second pic really looks like my Ludwigia Repens

Yeah i was thinking it was L. Repens with the bron surface and pink undersides to the leaves. I'm hoping i'm wrong now.

Never seen it, but the pic is a bit blurry....

Yes i need to invest in a decent camera. Have to stop spending on plants for a while though :D

I did try comment earlier but wouldn't post. Technical difficulty :) After Aqua_Chem solved a planted id of my own (thanks again) I did a web search of his opinion of the first pic and agree with him. All I can say is wow can it ever get red and I want one! :D

Yeah i'd love for it to be Glandulosa but i think you probably hit the nail on the head with L. Repens. It browns up on top like repens. I may have to plant some upside down and pretend i have a red plant for the time being. The underside of the leaves turn pink when it approaches the light so hopefully it decides to darken up when my lights get upgraded.

Thanks for the help everybody.

Back
Top Bottom