another planted tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foster53

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am planning a planted tank in the near future. I am thinking a 40 long, or a 33 long. The 33 is only 12.5" tall. The 40Long 16.5 tall. Which tank would be better? The tank will be low tech. No CO2. Low light plants. Lighting will be t-8 twin tube 8000K Looking for advice on best substrate. I have a few low light plants in a 30 gal. now, Crypts, anubias, wisteria, java fern, and I just picked up an Amazon sword today. Dosing with Flourish Comprehensive, and Flourish Root tabs. I would like to keep this very simple, until I catch on to live plants. Any and all suggestions are appreciated :thanks:

Last edited:
That would be up to you, to me it doesnt really matter I always go for the bigger one long wise. It will give more room for decor and the fish just my opinion. :)

Lighting a 40B with dual T8 lighting will limit your plant options somewhat. The PAR at depth of a T-8 through 16" of water will be a lot less than at 12", believe it or not.

That being said, it will still most likely keep the plants you listed alive on either tank.

If you are just starting to put the project together and haven't purchased equipment yet, consider going to a dual t5HO fixture instead of T8. On either tank, it wouldn't require you to dose CO2 or much in the way of fertilizers, but it would be a much, much better light for growing plants.

You'd be fine with either, I use t8 shop lights on some tanks and they do a fair job without demanding much in the way of co2 and ferts.

I'd likely go with the taller tank however because it would give you more plant height to work with.

You'd be fine with either, I use t8 shop lights on some tanks and they do a fair job without demanding much in the way of co2 and ferts.

I'd likely go with the taller tank however because it would give you more plant height to work with.

Yes, I agree the T8 option will work. In my experience, the difference between T8 and t5ho is pretty dramatic... but T8 is certainly cheaper, and will also keep things moving a little slower in the tank, if that is what you want.

I also agree that bigger is almost always better.

Thanks for the advice. The light is the only thing I have at this time(left over from a 75). Since I am just getting my feet wet in this, I would like to keep it as simple as possible until I learn more. Didn't really want to try CO2 yet. Don't know anything about it:oops: If the light I have Aqueon twin tube 8000K 48" will grow low light plants,I would like to go that route. What ferts would you recommend, other than Flourish Comp, and Flourish fert tabs for the rooted plants? I would like to get more high tech with my Rainbow tank (125) after I learn more!!

I think those ferts will get you by with your light and plant choices. You will just want to keep an eye on your nitrates.

I think those ferts will get you by with your light and plant choices. You will just want to keep an eye on your nitrates.
Thanks. Nitrates normally run at 10ppm or less. Pretty fortunate, no nitrates in my tap water. PH is at 7.2 after offgasing, Gh 4 KH 6. Hoping this all goes well :hide:

Once you start running. Heavier planted tank you actually need to keep you nitrates at 10-20 ppm if possible. Plants use nitrate as a source of Nitrogen.

Cool less water changes:lol: Should I dose something to keep the nitrates up a bit? If so with what? Also would black blasting sand be ok for substrate. Tractor supply has 50 lbs. for $7. I believe it is inert. I will want to keep cories in the tank, wondering if the black sand would damage thier barbels.

Last edited:
foster53 said:
Cool less water changes:lol: Should I dose something to keep the nitrates up a bit? If so with what?

With low light plants you should be able to get away with some liquid micronutrients.

I have a moderately planted 50g community with 60w of 6700k T8 lighting and no Co2. I have Pygmy chain sword, Anubias, crypt wendii and some moss. I dose with 5ml of EASYLIFE PROFITO every other day.

I fishless cycled my tank and reduced nitrates down to 10ppm before stocking with my community fish, this way my nitrates never fall below 10ppm.

Jon

foster53 said:
Cool less water changes:lol: Should I dose something to keep the nitrates up a bit? If so with what? Also would black blasting sand be ok for substrate. Tractor supply has 50 lbs. for $7. I believe it is inert. I will want to keep cories in the tank, wondering if the black sand would damage thier barbels.

I have kitty litter in mine topped with sand.

Back
Top Bottom