Another Pressurized CO2 Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you're going to do that, I would take the bioballs out altogether as they're probably not really doing anything. I would also try to find some way to add the CO2 on the output side of the powerhead. In this particular situation, you'll benefit from bigger bubbles.

The Venturi hole is on top of the elbow I found could I put the co2 hose in that hole instead of plugging it? I would make the hole on the bottom so the co2 would have nowhere to go but up

If you're going to do that, I would take the bioballs out altogether as they're probably not really doing anything. I would also try to find some way to add the CO2 on the output side of the powerhead. In this particular situation, you'll benefit from bigger bubbles.

And can you explain why bigger bubbles are better in a reactor. Not trying to offend you just trying to learn as much as possible about this :)

Yes, putting it into the venturi hole would be best.

When you're dissolving CO2 into a tank directly, for example with an atomizer or ceramic diffuser, you want bubbles to spend as little time as possible in the tank. To do this, you want little bubbles because they A) maximize surface area with respect to volume, leading to quick dissolution and B) they're less buoyant, so they'll float to the top slower and maximize contact time with the water. A bubble that reaches the top is lost CO2. However, in a reactor like this, you want the CO2 bubbles to stay in the reactor. To do this they need to float up faster than they're pushed down by the current. Ideally, a bubble would stay intact in the reactor until it would be small enough to be pushed out, at which point it would leave the reactor. If your bubbles are being broken up by your powerhead, then they'll be on average smaller and more of them will be broken up.

Lets say each bubble is of size '50' when they exit your CO2 line, and they need to be size 5 to escape the reactor. If injected directly into the reactor, they will (ideally) bumble around until enough CO2 has dissolved for them to be size 5, at which point a single size 5 bubble leaves. Now lets say you instead run it through the powerhead where it gets chopped into 5 size 10 bubbles, each of which bumble around the reactor until they are each size 5 and escape. That's 5 bubbles of size 5 that will leave the reactor, for a total wasted CO2 of 25, whereas in the first scenario a single bubble of size 5 escaped, for a total wasted CO2 of 5. Some of the earlier Cerges reactors had issues with bubbles escaping because the way that the CO2 was injected broke up the bubbles in the way described above, which is proof of concept enough for me.

Of course, it gets more complicated than that, with slower flowing reactors having potentially smaller bubbles escaping, and then there's issues with too much CO2 entering a reactor, but this is really a simplified example. Since you have a convenient venturi hookup, you can experiment to see which one gives you the best results.

Yes, putting it into the venturi hole would be best.

When you're dissolving CO2 into a tank directly, for example with an atomizer or ceramic diffuser, you want bubbles to spend as little time as possible in the tank. To do this, you want little bubbles because they A) maximize surface area with respect to volume, leading to quick dissolution and B) they're less buoyant, so they'll float to the top slower and maximize contact time with the water. A bubble that reaches the top is lost CO2. However, in a reactor like this, you want the CO2 bubbles to stay in the reactor. To do this they need to float up faster than they're pushed down by the current. Ideally, a bubble would stay intact in the reactor until it would be small enough to be pushed out, at which point it would leave the reactor. If your bubbles are being broken up by your powerhead, then they'll be on average smaller and more of them will be broken up.

Lets say each bubble is of size '50' when they exit your CO2 line, and they need to be size 5 to escape the reactor. If injected directly into the reactor, they will (ideally) bumble around until enough CO2 has dissolved for them to be size 5, at which point a single size 5 bubble leaves. Now lets say you instead run it through the powerhead where it gets chopped into 5 size 10 bubbles, each of which bumble around the reactor until they are each size 5 and escape. That's 5 bubbles of size 5 that will leave the reactor, for a total wasted CO2 of 25, whereas in the first scenario a single bubble of size 5 escaped, for a total wasted CO2 of 5. Some of the earlier Cerges reactors had issues with bubbles escaping because the way that the CO2 was injected broke up the bubbles in the way described above, which is proof of concept enough for me.

Of course, it gets more complicated than that, with slower flowing reactors having potentially smaller bubbles escaping, and then there's issues with too much CO2 entering a reactor, but this is really a simplified example. Since you have a convenient venturi hookup, you can experiment to see which one gives you the best results.

Thanks for explaining that for me

http://youtu.be/qJ1BDxtcc7o here's the reactor your opinion would be appreciated.

Yea, it looks fine. The main problem with setups like that is that they can be a bit ugly in the tank, but they work fine.

Yea, it looks fine. The main problem with setups like that is that they can be a bit ugly in the tank, but they work fine.

I don't think it looks to bad I just heard this method was the most efficient. Would you say so?

It's on par with any of the top tier diffusion methods. As far as "most efficient" goes, that a debate for another time.

It's on par with any of the top tier diffusion methods. As far as "most efficient" goes, that a debate for another time.

I have a bit of a problem. My bubble counter fluid keep bubbling up and going Into my tank. I fill the bubble counter half way up. What would y'all suggest?

I was also wondering how many gph would I need to have going through my reactor for it to be efficent?

I'm not sure. It depends on your tank I would guess. I had a ball valve inline to adjust it if I needed to.

I switched the powerhead to one pushing 110 gph to one pushing 220 gph. I got the feeling the feeling the smaller one wasn't doing much for the amount of co2 I have running thru it.

Back
Top Bottom