Another question set: Bleaching plants to remove algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyCatsDrool

Aquarium Advice FINatic
img0306tr4.jpg

See that anubias at the bottom there? The one covered in black poo?

I have several plants like that in my tank. I have read about using a diluted bleach solution to remove stubborn algae.

1.) How do I do this?

2.) Are anubias good candidates for this?

3.) Are java ferns a good candidate for this?

4.) Ludwigia?

These are the plants in my tank that are primarily affected. I believe I have the source of the problem almost under control, but I want to abolish the baddies.

Thanks

I have never tried it because it seems so hit-n-miss. I'm sure you have also read some of the posts here that tell of plants falling apart after the chlorine treatment. I guess there is really only one way to find out.

Anubias and Java fern are very sturdy plants and stand up well to the bleach treatment. 1 part bleach to 15 water. Don't dip the roots. Leave for 5 minutes then rinse very well. This should eradicate the BBA.

The concentration for the solution, as provided by Dorothy reimer of AGA, was 1part bleach to 20 parts water. One to 2 minutes of soaking. As Brian said, Anubias and java ferns take it well, other plants don't like it at all (hornwort). I have done it with mixed results. Ludwiga is sensitive to it. I haven't killed any Anubias yet.

I am going to do the 1:20 solution. Would you guys like photo documentary?

Well, I did it and took pictures, but there really wasn't much to show. The bleach didn't help much and I ended up just taking most of the affected leaves off the plants.

sorry to disappoint.

Back
Top Bottom