Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-10-2014, 03:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Another rimless build thread

I decided to start another tank so I could try some different things. So I went to my parents house and pulled this gem out of the basement. This is going to take some time but I thought I would start a thread purely for your entertainment so feel free to laugh. I know I am!

Back in the day (25 years ago) when I was breeding angels we made our own tanks. Back then rimless tanks weren't all the rage that they are today so I used to put electrical tape around the rims so they would have the rimed look.

For right now I have to get her cleaned up, remove the tape and get a filter and light.

Please enjoy the picture and feel free to laugh amongst yourselves
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	216016  

Old 01-10-2014, 03:59 PM   #2
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

Don't feel bad. I still love the old metal frames with slate bottoms. I'd kill to get my hands on one that's still in good shape.

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:47 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Another rimless build thread

I recently bought a 20 gallon long in one of those dollar a gallon sales for the purpose of making a rimless tank. It came out real nice, it was a bit of work, had to pull out the heat gun to basically melt the rim off the glass. I only removed the top rim, I felt the bottom needs support. I'm not sure I would try this on any tank bigger or taller than a 20 long. Have it running now for 3 months.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389451589.784036.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	216141Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389451615.103867.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	216142
Old 01-17-2014, 04:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

OK so I got the tape off the rim finally, Denatured alcohol ended up working best but now I can't seem to get the water stains off the glass. Does anyone have any suggestions for that? I've scrubbed it with water for 3 days and I'm getting no where. I thought about using CLR but I'm not sure if that will leave a residue that would be dangerous later.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilpi View Post
I recently bought a 20 gallon long in one of those dollar a gallon sales for the purpose of making a rimless tank. It came out real nice, it was a bit of work, had to pull out the heat gun to basically melt the rim off the glass. I only removed the top rim, I felt the bottom needs support. I'm not sure I would try this on any tank bigger or taller than a 20 long. Have it running now for 3 months.Attachment 216141Attachment 216142
Thats pretty cool I would have never thought about that. How did you get the Silicone off? I want to redo the inside seems or maybe cut and peel to make them look neater.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterc007 View Post
Thats pretty cool I would have never thought about that. How did you get the Silicone off? I want to redo the inside seems or maybe cut and peel to make them look neater.
Well, the silicone that went around the top rim I removed with a single edge razor blade, very carefully not to scratch the glass. That rimless look definitely looks so much neater and cleaner, the tank gives the illusion to be bigger as well.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

The CLR should rinse out well enough to be safe. May be your only option.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maybe it's time for another tank? I understand there is some sentimental value to the old tank.
BTW, $1 a gallon sale going on right now at Petco! It's been going on for the last week or two and tomorrow might be the last day.
Just thought I'd add some food for thought.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:42 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was in Petco getting dog and cat food yesterday. Had to walk by all the $ per gal tanks. There was a 40g breeder winking at me. I had to walk away. Not ready yet as we are saving up for a trip to Ireland to see a fish buddy this summer. OS.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:16 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I just filled it up and put some CLR in it. I'm going to let it soak overnight and see what happens.

With me its all about the sentimental value plus I have 15 tanks, buying another one would not go over well LOL.

My next decision is what to do for substrate? My 50 has flourite. I was thinking of maybe doing dirt but I'm not sure. I also have to figure out a light and filter.

wahtcha think?

Tags
build, build thread, rim

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com