Another rimless build thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

misterc007

Aquarium Advice Activist
I decided to start another tank so I could try some different things. So I went to my parents house and pulled this gem out of the basement. This is going to take some time but I thought I would start a thread purely for your entertainment so feel free to laugh. I know I am!

Back in the day (25 years ago) when I was breeding angels we made our own tanks. Back then rimless tanks weren't all the rage that they are today so I used to put electrical tape around the rims so they would have the rimed look. :lol:

For right now I have to get her cleaned up, remove the tape and get a filter and light.

Please enjoy the picture and feel free to laugh amongst yourselves:ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 150
I recently bought a 20 gallon long in one of those dollar a gallon sales for the purpose of making a rimless tank. It came out real nice, it was a bit of work, had to pull out the heat gun to basically melt the rim off the glass. I only removed the top rim, I felt the bottom needs support. I'm not sure I would try this on any tank bigger or taller than a 20 long. Have it running now for 3 months.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389451589.784036.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389451615.103867.jpg

OK so I got the tape off the rim finally, Denatured alcohol ended up working best but now I can't seem to get the water stains off the glass. Does anyone have any suggestions for that? I've scrubbed it with water for 3 days and I'm getting no where. I thought about using CLR but I'm not sure if that will leave a residue that would be dangerous later.

I recently bought a 20 gallon long in one of those dollar a gallon sales for the purpose of making a rimless tank. It came out real nice, it was a bit of work, had to pull out the heat gun to basically melt the rim off the glass. I only removed the top rim, I felt the bottom needs support. I'm not sure I would try this on any tank bigger or taller than a 20 long. Have it running now for 3 months.View attachment 216141View attachment 216142

Thats pretty cool I would have never thought about that. How did you get the Silicone off? I want to redo the inside seems or maybe cut and peel to make them look neater.

Thats pretty cool I would have never thought about that. How did you get the Silicone off? I want to redo the inside seems or maybe cut and peel to make them look neater.

Well, the silicone that went around the top rim I removed with a single edge razor blade, very carefully not to scratch the glass. That rimless look definitely looks so much neater and cleaner, the tank gives the illusion to be bigger as well.

Maybe it's time for another tank? I understand there is some sentimental value to the old tank.
BTW, $1 a gallon sale going on right now at Petco! It's been going on for the last week or two and tomorrow might be the last day.
Just thought I'd add some food for thought.

I was in Petco getting dog and cat food yesterday. Had to walk by all the $ per gal tanks. There was a 40g breeder winking at me. I had to walk away. Not ready yet as we are saving up for a trip to Ireland to see a fish buddy this summer. OS.

I just filled it up and put some CLR in it. I'm going to let it soak overnight and see what happens.

With me its all about the sentimental value plus I have 15 tanks, buying another one would not go over well LOL.

My next decision is what to do for substrate? My 50 has flourite. I was thinking of maybe doing dirt but I'm not sure. I also have to figure out a light and filter.

wahtcha think?

OK so I got the tape off the rim finally, Denatured alcohol ended up working best but now I can't seem to get the water stains off the glass. Does anyone have any suggestions for that? I've scrubbed it with water for 3 days and I'm getting no where. I thought about using CLR but I'm not sure if that will leave a residue that would be dangerous later.

If the CLR doesn't work, try to polish it out with cerium oxide and a buffer. I had good luck with this recently, as it's not actual water stains, but eventually the glass gets etched. Lots of elbow grease, but with the right tools, it can be fixed and brought back to life.

Well the CLR worked let it sit a couple hours then scrubbed it down and everything came out good. Does it have an ADA sticker on it NO:lol: but it will do. it looks pretty good actually, I might try and clean up the silicone a bit not sure yet.

Does anyone know where you can get one of those frosted back grounds? I saw that on someones 12 g rimless and I really liked the way that looked.

Attachments

• Clean.JPG
    Clean.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 85
I have the frosted background on my 12 long. It's just window film from Home Depot.

that's funny, your tank is the one I was talking about. That is a sweet set up for sure I love the way that looks. Is it like contact paper or like window tint? Did you just stick it on?

Thank you! :) I know some people use contact paper, but mine is the window film. You spray on some liquid, stick it on, then squeegee the liquid out. I made sure to cut mine to size before I applied it, as it can be hard to cut a straight line without peeling it back up once it's applied.

Well its time for an update, First off I elected to go with a black back ground. I picked it up for $1.50 at PSP, I used soapy water and a squigy (sp) and left it for a couple weeks and it stuck. so good there. I also ended up trimming the silicon on the side's and it looks much better now. I've had it filled for the last two weeks to make sure it was leak proof and it looks like we are good to go! Here's a pic. Never mind the 30 year old hood and plants I threw in there when I was doing some trimming. Those go by by when I get the new light.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 67
Here's a list of the equipment I ordered today and should have next week:

Current usa 24" sat + led
Aqua Clear 20
2 bags of Activ Flora floracor blk
Aqueon pro heater
Glass thermometer
Purigen 100ml bag

All that for a mere $180.00

So that's what I'm going with. Should be fun to put it all together

My plan right now is to try without co2 but we'll see

Also thinking about doing RCS and Guppy's the kids might enjoy the live bearer's.

Update Time:

Well I couldn't get the substrate that I wanted so I just went with regular ECO. The Current Sat + led is very cool and the kids love the lightning mode. Everything is up and running, Just letting it cycle so I threw a couple plant trimmings in there. I still need to get some hard scape, I just haven't found anything worth spending my money on yet. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

PS I cant see my pictures. Can you?

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 60
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 67
Yes mister your pictures show up fine on this end. I don't know what's happened in AA but I no longer see my pics in my posts either. It just says "rotate image". Very frustrating. OS.

Nice little gem you found and cleaned up. This tank looks great de-rimmed. I know that little ADA sticker is waaay over-hyped. I only got one because I got brainwashed into liking it... when I started this hobby I was like a deer stuck in the headlights every time I saw an ADA build... I just had to have one as it was my dream tank.

Anyways, following along. The Sat+ is a fun light for us big kids, it's no wonder your kids like it too. They'll enjoy the livebearers and shrimp too.

Back
Top Bottom