Anubias Help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Franklin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
img_1737833_0_b8482080cfc33f5656fce7ab02ef5bbd.jpg

I have a new tank that I have been setting up for my 8 year old daughter. It is a 6 gal. Edge. Using 2 X 10 watt LED's placed about 5" from plant tops (can't change easily) running 5 hours a day to reduce algae during cycling. 2" of wet Eco-Complete substrate.
Since I read that it was fine to do a fishless cycling with live plants I did this. Added RO/DI water and forgot that my filters take out KH because of my reef experience. Buffered with baking soda to 5KH on day 3. Added API Leaf Zone on day 4.
Day 4 noticed that the some of the leaf margins were turning translucent and then about 3 days later turnining brown. Two damaged leafs removed. Soon three.
Sorry to be so long winded!
Here is the history of the cycle:
First 5 days dosed ammonia to 4 ppm. No nitrite, no nitrate.

Day 6 2 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate ammonia dosed back to 4
Day 7 2 ammonia, .5 nitrite, 0 nitrate ammonia dosed back to 4
Day 8 2 ammonia, 4 nitrite, 4 nitrate ammonia dosed back to 4
Day 9 .5 ammonia, 5 nitrite, 8 nitrate ammonia dosed back to 4
Day 10 1 ammonia, 5 nitrite, 8+ nitrate(off my chart) dosed amm to 4
Day 11 .25 ammonia, 5 nitrite, 5 nitrate* dosed amm back to 4
Today 1 ammonia, 1 nitrite, 10+ nitrate dosed amm back to 4
PH slightly lowered to 7.19 on calibrated probe from original 7.58. Temp steady at 78.5. KH 5.

maybe just from transfer/transplant

cut off that leaf asap, so the rest of the plant doesn't catch it.........other than that, idk, ive never seen that, ive seen spots, but not the whole leaf that color

good luck

maybe just from transfer/transplant

cut off that leaf asap, so the rest of the plant doesn't catch it.........other than that, idk, ive never seen that, ive seen spots, but not the whole leaf that color

good luck

Thanks!
Actually starts at the margin becoming translucent then darkening. I think I may have overdosed on RO/DI Right? The chart on the bottle looks to suggest that it increases ALK, but it looks to only increase GH.

Franklin said:
I have a new tank that I have been setting up for my 8 year old daughter. It is a 6 gal. Edge. Using 2 X 10 watt LED's placed about 5" from plant tops (can't change easily) running 5 hours a day to reduce algae during cycling. 2" of wet Eco-Complete substrate.
Since I read that it was fine to do a fishless cycling with live plants I did this. Added RO/DI water and forgot that my filters take out KH because of my reef experience. Buffered with baking soda to 5KH on day 3. Added API Leaf Zone on day 4.
Day 4 noticed that the some of the leaf margins were turning translucent and then about 3 days later turnining brown. Two damaged leafs removed. Soon three.
Sorry to be so long winded!
Here is the history of the cycle:
First 5 days dosed ammonia to 4 ppm. No nitrite, no nitrate.

Day 6 2 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate ammonia dosed back to 4
Day 7 2 ammonia, .5 nitrite, 0 nitrate ammonia dosed back to 4
Day 8 2 ammonia, 4 nitrite, 4 nitrate ammonia dosed back to 4
Day 9 .5 ammonia, 5 nitrite, 8 nitrate ammonia dosed back to 4
Day 10 1 ammonia, 5 nitrite, 8+ nitrate(off my chart) dosed amm to 4
Day 11 .25 ammonia, 5 nitrite, 5 nitrate* dosed amm back to 4
Today 1 ammonia, 1 nitrite, 10+ nitrate dosed amm back to 4
PH slightly lowered to 7.19 on calibrated probe from original 7.58. Temp steady at 78.5. KH 5.

I know when I was cycling my tank, my anbuis got holes in it and didn't look too healthy either but once the cycle was over it did great. It never grew during the cycle, but now it has many new leaves and is growing like crazy.
One thing I know is that triming the dead leaves off any plant will help it focus on the healther leaves. Keep up the good work.

I got my anubias when the tank was fully cycled, and mine did the same thing. I ended up removing all of the leaves but two. I'm not sure what the temperature difference is between my tank and the tank at the lfs was. One thing I did notice though was that the leaves pointing directly at my light source were the only two that were ok.

Once those leaves we're shed and I cut them off, about two weeks later I started to see new growth all over the plant. The plant looks great now, so maybe it just needs time to adjust to suit itself to your tank instead of the old one.

The issue is light. 5 hours a day is not sufficient for a plant to complete its growth cycle. And two 5 watt LEDs is a minuscule amount of light. Anubias is a slow growing plant which means it is not going to use much fertilizer. Perhaps it appears to be OK now, but if you want to see significant growth then yo shoujld go to a minmum of 8 hours a day, and preferably 10, and get a much stronger light

The issue is light. 5 hours a day is not sufficient for a plant to complete its growth cycle. And two 5 watt LEDs is a minuscule amount of light. Anubias is a slow growing plant which means it is not going to use much fertilizer. Perhaps it appears to be OK now, but if you want to see significant growth then yo shoujld go to a minmum of 8 hours a day, and preferably 10, and get a much stronger light

I have an Excotech and/or a Rapid LED PAR 38 that I could use. The bulbs I have on it now are 2 X10W not 2 X 5W. I was keeping the light cycle down to 5 hours so as not to promote algae growth during the fishless cycle. I was told that it was a good/OK idea to have plants while cycling. In retrospect, the combination does not seem to be good as cycling before plant introduction.
Gonna go and get some ceiling cans to mount in the kitchen cabinet that is just 10" above the tank and jack up my duration.
Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom