Anubias nana tips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

W1nt3rsh0wl

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I've been growing Anubias Nana for about a year and really havn't had the growth i was looking forward to. I could use some tips on how to make it grow much faster. The plants are quite small and id like to grow them to a much larger size.

Anubias plants are pretty slow growing in general. Can you tell us more about your tank? Tank height and lighting, ferts, any co2 or carbon supplemented?

Yes, im running a low tech ten gallon aquarium 10x10x20 with diy co2 running 1 bubble per second with flourish root tabs. My water parameters are...

Ph-7.5
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-10-20

Lighting- 15 watt fluorescent bulb

They are a slow growing plant so there isn't a whole lot to do to speed them up as far as I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes, im running a low tech ten gallon aquarium 10x10x20 with diy co2 running 1 bubble per second with flourish root tabs. My water parameters are...

Ph-7.5
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-10-20

Lighting- 15 watt fluorescent bulb

Nice. Some ferts added to the water column would likely help a bit, but overall you're not going to see a drastic change. What other plants do you have?

Dwarf hair grass (which isn't growing very well) one marimo moss ball approximately 1.5 inches in diameter and java moss which could also use a little help (slow growing)

Dwarf hair grass is a high light plant. (Not sure what your lighting ends up being)

Faster growing plants for low and middle are anacharis, hornwort and dwarf sag.

Mosses grow fairly well in almost anything

Updating the lighting would actually be beneficial. Unless it is t5 instead of a t8 a single fluorecent usually leaves you at very low/almost no light. They also lose about half of their power in about 6 months so the bulbs need frequent replacing. So if you have that 15w and have had it 6 months it is putting out probably closer to like 7/8 w

So I've been growing Anubias Nana for about a year and really havn't had the growth i was looking forward to. I could use some tips on how to make it grow much faster. The plants are quite small and id like to grow them to a much larger size.

Well firstly you mention youd like to get your anubias nana to a much larger size. I appreciate your not an idiot but nana means small. This anubias variety stays petite.

Secondly the addition of a liquid carbon, dosed as recommended on the bottle will help greatly. Carbon is an essential building block for plants. Suggested brands are excel or co2 booster

Also: do you have the rhizome above the gravel? It needs to be above the gravel or it will rot

Yes the the rhizome is above the grave attached to a rock and others to some driftwood

What wattage of bulb would you recommend for a ten gallon

First of all, Sk3lly is right it really won't get "bigger". The rhizome might grow farther though if that's what you mean. I agree more light or liquid carbon are your best bet.

One 23 watt fluorescent might be a nice upgrade, or two 13 watts.

I had an anubias nana that was actually enormous but i want to grow one that large again.

The anubias that was that size is now just a rhizome and some some small leaves.

Does anybody know how fast the rhizome grows like in inches?

Back
Top Bottom