Anubias on driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ceej

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just bought a piece of Anubias on a nice piece of driftwood. Should I boil it, soak it in hot water from the tub, plop it in my tank? What's the protocol on driftwood from your lfs? :ermm:

Thanks!

You did say that the anubias is attached to the driftwood, right? If so, you cannot boil it or even soak it in hot water. Plop it into your tank. If your water gets too brown, purigen will help a lot.

After I posted it, I knew that hot water was not an option lol. I'm about to do a pwc, so I'll let it soak in the tank water for a bit, then plop it in.

Anubias on Driftwood

I just bought a piece of Anubias on a nice piece of driftwood. Should I boil it, soak it in hot water from the tub, plop it in my tank? What's the protocol on driftwood from your lfs? :ermm:

Thanks!

Hello C...

You can't boil the plant, obviously. When I put new plants in my tanks, I put the plant and wood into a 5 gallon bucket of my water change water and add a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt to the water. Just let it all soak overnight and then into the tank.

Don't worry about the little bit of aquarium salt. It won't hurt the plant and will kill any bacteria that may be living in the wood. Most harmful bacteria can't live in water with a trace of salt in it.

If your plant is attached to Mopani wood, then there won't be a problem with the water turning a tan color. Other driftwood will leach tannins.

B

Hello C...

You can't boil the plant, obviously. When I put new plants in my tanks, I put the plant and wood into a 5 gallon bucket of my water change water and add a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt to the water. Just let it all soak overnight and then into the tank.

Don't worry about the little bit of aquarium salt. It won't hurt the plant and will kill any bacteria that may be living in the wood. Most harmful bacteria can't live in water with a trace of salt in it.

If your plant is attached to Mopani wood, then there won't be a problem with the water turning a tan color. Other driftwood will leach tannins.

B

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I know i can't boil it. It was a case of typing before thinking:whistle: lol.

I just gave my aquarium salt away because I had no use for it. I'll let it soak in my water change water for 5 or six hours and see what color the water turns. If clear, I'll put it in the tank.

No idea what kind of piece of wood it is. The tag at the store didn't say. Should have asked. Their water was clear and was loaded with these pieces, so I'm going to say it'll be fine.

I have more Anubias Nana and Ferns in my tank and dose them with Flourish Comp. I have API Leaf Zone. Any benefit from starting to use the Leaf Zone with the Flourish? If so, use it together after pwc or on different days?

BBradbury said:
Hello C...

B

Hey, that's a neat trick!

Back
Top Bottom