Anubias Roots How important?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_4_all

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have the Anubius Barterii var. nana.

I am wondering how important you think the roots are for any anubias species as far as nutrient uptake. I know they will grow with the roots in or out of the substrate but I want to hear your personal experiences with this.

My personal experience is it may or may not be important but my anubias really stopped growing when I trimmed the old emersed leaves off and the old roots. Once it got some of those spiny roots and a couple of the longer roots that try to reach the substrate it took off. Now it is growing so well that I don't want to move it just in case the roots have a major contribution to the spurt.

Share you experience with the roots and if you think they have any effect on growth rates and why. Also include your species so I can gather more info for another profile.

I moved mine from substrate to driftwood and didn't bother trimming the roots (though I probably should have). It tok off running as soon as the light hit it.

It is considered a non-substrate rooting plant, so it should work well either way.

Is emersed growth differnent for nana?

I think the leaves that were on the plant look different than the ones it has grown submerged. They may be the same but the new leaves look a lot more rounded and are about half the size of the ones it had. All I know is mine loved it when I removed the old leaves, it has grown so well since.

Back
Top Bottom