Any Freshwater native species tanks out there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lee315

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm from Georgia and I'm going for a heavily planted tank with native species. I'd love to see any of your tanks, also any advise would be appreciated. Also have no fear if my fish outgrow my tank I'll release them into my pond.
Fish:
Largemouth
Bluegill
Longear
Green Sunfish
White Crappie
Crawfish

img_2969655_0_b65ff952a80df15f8152bd55d0fe3dcc.jpg

It's a 55g, all the fish are fairly small for their species with the bass being the biggest at 7in.

The drift wood and rocks are all out of my Creek, the plants I've purchased from lfs. I'm wanting heavily planted but I'm not sure if I want to go high light then have also get co2. I'm thinking I'll just get a lot of low light plants. I'm currently running dual t5 lamps.

I also have a well so no water quality problems, the only time I lose fish is when one eats another, which I find fascinating to watch. The only fish in my tank that I purchased is a pleco.

I just noticed I've got a green sunfish on bed with eggs, awesome.

If your using wild-caught fish why not use wild plants as well? Ive been wanting to do a similiar style tank but don't have the space, as id want to go at least 75 to 100 gallons-no pond:-(.
I was fishing off the bottom at a near by lake, and snagged a beautiful plant that looked a little like Myrio-Red, and had to convince myself it was not worth risking parasites....before tossing it back in the water!

If your using wild-caught fish why not use wild plants as well? Ive been wanting to do a similiar style tank but don't have the space, as id want to go at least 75 to 100 gallons-no pond:-(.
I was fishing off the bottom at a near by lake, and snagged a beautiful plant that looked a little like Myrio-Red, and had to convince myself it was not worth risking parasites....before tossing it back in the water!

I haven't found any that will take I've tried moss from the creek it wouldn't take though, but if I find some plants I will try to plant them. I wade the creek and rivers alot but all I find is hydrilla and I've read that's an invasive plant.

Here in Pennsylvania I've found various Ludwigia species that I had no idea grew in Pennsylvania. Beautiful Varieties, too. I found an entire pond filled with Ludwigia sp. Sphaerocarpa, which frequently goes for 10$ a stem on TPT.

I haven't found any that will take I've tried moss from the creek it wouldn't take though, but if I find some plants I will try to plant them. I wade the creek and rivers alot but all I find is hydrilla and I've read that's an invasive plant.

Gotcha, I would guess you'd have more luck with the submersed species that dont extend up above the surface. Id be the last person to wade through the shoreline reaching for plants! To many critters I prefer to be a good distance away from!

Than why is it in your creek?

It was done illegally. There are a lot of federal, state, and local laws that are out there to prevent things like this from happening, but many people that do not know better or choose to ignore the laws and this becomes a huge problem. Florida as an example, has laws that say you cannot bring in certain (snakes) animals. People do and then it gets too big so they release it into the wild. Next thing you know, grandmas little fufu dog is missing and the 12' ball python in the road has a big belly.

So if you live in a cold state, why can't you have any native fish ?

Back
Top Bottom