Any plants ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

liljosh609

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 55 gal. Tank with only 30 watts on total, but they are supposedly play lights so I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

It would make a difference, the color spectrum is different in those bulbs. I'm assuming you have 2 T8 hoods, 18in bulbs?

You could do some very low light plants! Java moss, java fern and Anubias are easy plants to maintain!

Well I have some java ferns for like 6 months and tht haver done much, just shot some roots and a brown leaf is dying but I think I'll keep it bc maybe néw one will form on it. Also hornwort worked. Anacharis didn't work, it just got eaten by fish

Hornwort would probably be about the only option. Even java ferns won't do much under only 30W of light in a 55. You could probably keep java moss and anubias alive, but it won't grow much.

No. java fern grows much faster than any species of anubias I have had.

Yea my java is growing very slowly. Is is shooting roots and small tiny leaves coming from the base of the roots. I think that's a good sign right? Also my hornwort is growing again. It's like on/off cycles. So what is goin on with my fern?

Sounds like the fern is reproducing. Those small plantlets will eventually separate and grow new plants. You can pluck them off and replant them when they mature a bit.

Nope. It sounds too complicated. So when will the new plants on the leaf be ready?

Let them develop leaves and then you can pluck them off.

I wouldn't worry much about fert supplementation or co2 injection with that lighting. Down the road a good trace mix might be beneficial but that would be about it.

Each tank is a little different. Probably at least a couple weeks with your current lighting.

Back
Top Bottom