Any Reddish Plants Out There?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. Breeze

Aquarium Advice Regular
I would like to add a little more red leaf plants for contrast in my 29 gal. planted tank. I have around 2-3 watts/gal with injected CO2. What are the easier plants to try here? I know some are harder to grow and keep thriving.

Thanks

:thanks:

i've got one that i bought from my LFS labeled 'red temple plant' that i can't seem to kill. in lower light it stays green but the higher it reaches, the more red/purple it gets.

My red melon sword gets pretty red but got more red once I upgraded my lights. I believe that's the case with most red plants, the stronger the lights and nutrients the better the red in your lights.

Atxpunx said:
My red melon sword gets pretty red but got more red once I upgraded my lights. I believe that's the case with most red plants, the stronger the lights and nutrients the better the red in your lights.

Yep they need extra care to stay red.

I actually have an app on my phone to find aquatic plants according to color. I don't know their difficulties, since this thing doesn't list that. Almost the most useful app I have downloaded. But, a list is a start, right?

So, there is: (scientific names, of course)
ammannia gracillis
alterbathera reineckii and sessilis
camboba furcata
hemigraphis colorate and repanda
limnophilia aromatica
ludwigia glandulosa
myriophyllum mattogrossense and tuberculatum
nesea species
rotala macrandra

So, there is: (scientific names, of course)
ammannia gracillis
alterbathera reineckii and sessilis
camboba furcata
hemigraphis colorate and repanda
limnophilia aromatica
ludwigia glandulosa
myriophyllum mattogrossense and tuberculatum
nesea species
rotala macrandra

This is a good starting list. A few things to point out.

I think you mean alterNanthera reineckii rosefolia. It's commonly called 'red temple'. I have some of this in my tank. It's a bit of a CO2 hog and a slow grower, so it can be in a bit more shaded area. No pics of this one, sorry.

Pretty much any ludwigia sp. will turn nice and red for you if you treat it nicely. My repens is doing quite nicely. Don't mind the GSA problem....

X9UCm.jpg

Limnophila Aromatica.... I've been having some pretty good luck with this plant lately:

s2xZi.jpg

PjCQv.jpg

This is a good starting list. A few things to point out.

I think you mean alterNanthera reineckii rosefolia. It's commonly called 'red temple'. I have some of this in my tank. It's a bit of a CO2 hog and a slow grower, so it can be in a bit more shaded area. No pics of this one, sorry.

Pretty much any ludwigia sp. will turn nice and red for you if you treat it nicely. My repens is doing quite nicely. Don't mind the GSA problem....

X9UCm.jpg

Limnophila Aromatica.... I've been having some pretty good luck with this plant lately:

s2xZi.jpg

PjCQv.jpg
Could you please tell us what you're running. I'd hate to have people mislead by your gorgeous pictures thinking they could get the same results with a standard bulb.

I'm running pressurized CO2 (more than the recommended level). The tank (40B) is fairly wide, so I've got two fixtures over it, a 2xT5HO and a 1xT5HO, both Hagen Glo fixtures. The light that these are under is the single bulb fixture running a Giesemann Aquaflora. It doesn't get much light from the other fixture, so really it's getting about half of the light that most plants get under a 2xT5HO bulb. I'm also crazy about keeping my nitrates in check (excess nitrates = greener plants) and use dry ferts.

Back
Top Bottom