Any substrate that mixes well with eco complete?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeathB

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I want to redo the gravel in my 20g, but I only have about half a bag of eco left, and was wondering how a darker sand would do with it? The gravel is a bit too big for good plant growth, and I think something lighter/smaller would be easier on my dojos.

Another problem I have with the aqueon is that the output part of the filter sticks out a bit, and I can't push my light as far back on the tank as I'd like. For example, on the 20g I have a top fin filter that doesn't take up as much room on the part where it hangs into the tank.

Edit: Any opinons on a good hob filter for a planted tank? Or a canister that wouldn't make too much turbulence. I already have a fluval submersible filter on the bottom right to help spread the co2 around to more of the tank.

I use the Aqua-Tech hobs from wal-mart I have never had a problem with them. I don't use the filters with the carbon I just use some of that fluff (brain fart can't think of the name) from the crafts dept.

Replacing substrate is really buggery. You also pick up a lot of dirty and crud when you do it. I had a miserable time trying to get up my coral sand, but i'm sure with pebbles it'll be alright. If you need to cut your eco complete get some PFS and lay it under the eco complete. Or hop on down to the home depot and pick out some PURE vermiculite, make sure it's PURE, and use that. (it's the same exact stuff as eco-complete, well it doesthe exact same thing that is, it has a very high Cation Exchange capacity) You would have to cover the vermiculite though, it clouds water and does wacky things when exposed.

i'd say go for an ac50, they're awesome little filters and dont take up nearly as much room on the back as alot of others do. I think its the way the u-tube is designed

with eco on top when you gravel vac it will go to the bottom and the sand will be up on top.

How about cutting it with fluorite black sand? Anyone have any experience with that stuff? Would it be safe for zebra loaches?

Edit: Ah durr, excuse me, I meant dojos. My 20g is the one I need to change the 'strate on, not the 29g. XD

If you mix the sand with the Eco it will eventually separate. If you are putting the sand around the Eco and not mixing it all together, it would be better. And that sand is pretty light so it should be fine for loaches. Dojos get pretty big for a 20L though.

Make sure you rinse the Fluorite sand really well before putting it in the tank.....its really dusty and even after rinsing like crazy, when you disturb it, it will cloud the tank...just something to think about. I wasn't impressed with that stuff and will stick to the reg black fluorite.

I agree with what has been said already. The gravel will work its way to the top over time. I would go with the AquaClears. I like them because they have a large media basket and they run super quiet. Ditch the media except the bioballs and pick up some 100% polyfiber (~$4/bag) from a craftstore and you have yourself filter media for years.

I agree with what has been said already. The gravel will work its way to the top over time. I would go with the AquaClears. I like them because they have a large media basket and they run super quiet. Ditch the media except the bioballs and pick up some 100% polyfiber (~$4/bag) from a craftstore and you have yourself filter media for years.

Set up a rena filstar xp1 on it yesterday. Problem solved. :)

Back
Top Bottom