Anyone dose seachem iron?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PJFISH

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just started dosing seachem iron (1/2 capful for 30g). I don't have the $ to get a iron test kit at the moment. How do I know how often to dose without knowing the preexisting iron levels? Does anyone else dose without testing? Don't want to harm fish!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I do I dooo, 2 caps a week in the 30, 1.5 in the 20.. that's along with pps pro..no shrimps in either tank though..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I do I dooo, 2 caps a week in the 30, 1.5 in the 20.. that's along with pps pro..no shrimps in either tank though..

Ok, cool so you do 2 full caps 2x's a week in a 30 g with no testing or I'll effects on fish?

One cap every 3 days in the 30, fish don't seem to mind..

I've overdosed iron (in API leaf zone) at least 2 or 3 times higher than suggested on bottle with no problems for fish.

I do one cap a day in a 45G low tech. I did buy the iron test kit. Even with that dose it just reads a trace, nowhere near the recommended .1. It appears to take a lot to overdose, but my plants all greened up substantially when I started adding iron.

I do one cap a day in a 45G low tech. I did buy the iron test kit. Even with that dose it just reads a trace, nowhere near the recommended .1. It appears to take a lot to overdose, but my plants all greened up substantially when I started adding iron.

Great, that's what I'm hoping for! I've heard the iron tests aren't super reliable anyway.

Great, that's what I'm hoping for! I've heard the iron tests aren't super reliable anyway.

Well, maybe, maybe not. It did come with calibration liquid, and I tested that and it came out more or less correct. I had not dosed for several days when I got my test, and it read essentially none (maybe just the barest trace), and a day after a dose it did register maybe .01, low but clearly a purple color.

Seachem's web site says it is quickly absorbed by plants. Maybe they are right.

It was useful in the sense of reassuring me I wasn't over-dosing. I have used it only once since, I think, just to make sure it wasn't growing.

I dose 2ml twice a week in both my 20 gallon low-tech and my 20 gallon high-tech. With the high-tech I am supplementing the daily PPS-Pro. The extra iron has helped the color on my Rotala magentas.
Some Panda Corys and a couple Nerite snails are about the most sensitive creatures I have in that tank... no shrimp.

Iron is not a nutrient that's needed in high amounts for a tank. There's no real reason to dose more than the bottle says because it only takes soo little to keep the plants happy.

Iron is not a nutrient that's needed in high amounts for a tank. There's no real reason to dose more than the bottle says because it only takes soo little to keep the plants happy.

Yeah, but the bottle doesn't really say. It reads:

Use 1 capful (5 mL) for each 200 L (50 gallons*) or as required to maintain about 0.10 mg/L iron.​

Notice even if you think the does is specified there's no time frame mentioned - daily, weekly, etc.

There is another PDF I found from them, here:

http://www.seachem.com/support/PlantDoseChart.pdf

that says to dose 6 times a week, but there's no indication of whether this is for high tech, low tech, EI, etc.

That's why I tried to test, as the only real guidance that was clear is "maintain 0.10 mg/L". Which with any dose similar to this you just can't do.

Here's another quote from Seachem just to muddy the water further:

Though iron is technically a micro-element, plants take it in very readily. In fact, you can dose Flourish Iron and then test your water for iron shortly thereafter and find that not much remains in the water, as your plants will utilize so quickly. This also has a lot to do with the fact that it is in the oxidation state that plant cells prefer(ferrous) and is complexed with a gluconate that can be utilized for growth.​

So I just decided a cap full a day is the right amount. :blink:

I think what type of plants you have is another factor. Red and purple plants need more than green and yellow plants, for example. Like I mentioned above, supplementing iron to my PPS-Pro schedule has turned my Rotala magenta from pink to, well, magenta. (y)

Yeah, but the bottle doesn't really say.

Ahh, yeah I wasn't really aware of the vague nature of the instructions. I have used multiple different iron supplements before but the Seachem isn't on that listing.

I dose about 1mL/g every other day on my pps pro micros day. AR couldn't be more red, l. glandulosa is super pink and purple, and the tips of my pogo are pinking up nicely.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Theres research been done into the use of iron to colour plants. They have found its not actually the iron that does this.

The combined presence of high light, 2-5ppm phosphates and a reduction of nitrate (10ppm and below) is actually what makes the plants turn.
Its all about chlorophyll and the different parts of the light spectrum used.

The iron simply helps these plants maintain these colours. Even the green plants use iron

I don't know, every time I've does Iron, it seems like i get an algae outbreak. Might just be a coincidence, but i've stopped using it for a while.....

I follow the sachem dosing regimen on their website. Printed it out and had it laminated and keep it in the bin with my fert bottles.

My tank has exploded in growth, but my wallet has taken a hit as well. I have a dozen or so ghost shrimp and half a dozen cherry shrimp. No problems after using the Seachem dosing recommendations for a couple of months.

I ordered the ferts to start the PPS pro method.

I follow the sachem dosing regimen on their website. Printed it out and had it laminated and keep it in the bin with my fert bottles.

My tank has exploded in growth, but my wallet has taken a hit as well. I have a dozen or so ghost shrimp and half a dozen cherry shrimp. No problems after using the Seachem dosing recommendations for a couple of months.

I ordered the ferts to start the PPS pro method.

Yeah, at first when I used the seachem liquid ferts my plants grew very well, then added CO2 and better lighting and glut and root tabs. So the seachem liquid ferts weren't cutting anymore, not as complete as PPS pro. Still trying to solve the "java fern equation" so I added iron. Hoping my leaves grow in regularly now, not all messed up

I hear ya. My java ferns look rough too. Do you use co2. And glut?

What tabs do you recommend?

I hear ya. My java ferns look rough too. Do you use co2. And glut?

What tabs do you recommend?

Yeah, I use both because glut just can't do what actual CO2 can in terms of growth. I recommend the DIY tabs that Mebbid uses, you can find it in this site, just search it. They really do work!

Back
Top Bottom