Anyone ever grow Cabomba?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rivercats

Aquarium Advice Addict
Has anyone ever grown Cabomba? I am considering ordering some Cabomba Purple (Cabomba pulcherrima) but have read mixed reviews. I have ambula which is almost a weed it spreads so fast. Is Cabomba the same way? When planted does it shed alot at first? Easy or hard to grow?

Super easy to grow and can get out of control, I really like the way the purple cabomna looks in a big bunch. You may even get flowers:)

I can't grow that stuff for the life of me :( I can grow almost everything else but not that.

I've had cabomba pulcherrima and cabomba 'silver tip'. I found that the leaves of cabomba tend to shed more easily than other plants, which I didn't like.

That is what I am trying to avoid, a messy plants that sheds leaves alot. Any other fine leaf plants other than ambula that might be good to try. I'm aiming for something with color other than green and not a messy shedder. What about Rotala wallichii or Myrio Red (Myriophyllum heterophyllum) ?

Wallichii likes soft water and good light, so it can be a major problem child under less than optimal circumstances.

Red myrio is fine. I was going to suggest Myriophyllum mattogrossense or filigree. There are some other rotala sp. that have similar leaves to wallichii, such as nanjenshan.

Water readings eariler today were GH5, KH4, PH 7.0 Lighting is 3x150watt HDI Metal halide 4x39watt T5HO Already have Rotala Indica (Rotala roundifolia) and Rotala macrandra. I like that soft frilly look so might just go with the Red Myrio.

I couldn't grow it. I personally feel it harder than made out to be. Then again, swords are kind of known to be a picky plant and I can grow them no problem. Who would have known.

Why not do this?

You could take some of your tank water and float the cabomba in your tank (in a bag with your tank water) to let it acclimate to the water, then plant it in the tank after a week. Mine stopped shedding after a week, but it was the dead leaves from the store.

Back
Top Bottom