Anyone have Bacopa Australis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NinjaTetra

Aquarium Advice Freak
I would like some Bacopa Australis, if anyone has a good deal and shipping will be cheap I will buy it off of you. Particularly southwest, pacific and that area of the u.s. would be best, but a little further might work. Any other good suggestions for good low to medium light plants are welcome. Also, I might take driftwood, for a 10 gallon. About 6 by 6 by 6 inches or close to that. Maybe bigger or taller, even smaller. Thanks!

Another question, can anubias grow onto plastic decor? I know they grow onto wood an rocks, but I have an awesome place on a decoration if they will grow onto plastic.

There are alot of good plants you can use, some of the rotala's, ludwigia, bacopia, water sprite, wisteria, ambulia (one of my favorites, narrowleaf temple, crypts are all good candidates for a 10g. As for the anubia I don't think it will be able to attach if the plastic is slick but what you could do is use clear fishing line and tie it on in a way to keep the line hidden mostly. Sorry can't help you with the light.

Duckweed can be a real pain. It will over take the entire surface of your tank in a matter of days. It can also clog in your filters and I wouldn't use it unless you keep it in a breeder net contained so it can't go flying all over your tank.

Ok, well I will consider that. Does it grow, or just reproduce quickly? Also, I noticed my lfs has anubias nana for 10 dollars plain, and anubias or java fern on driftwood for 5 dollars. That seems odd to me. I decided not to plant my tank and get a 40 and plant that. But the 40 I have my eyes on is only 100 dollars, no lighting or filtration. I can make a nice stand. Should I buy one for like 300 with the complete setup, or buy my own filtration and lighting and hood?

I'd check tank prices on line just to see if you can find a better tank deal. If your a handy DIY person then you can usually always come out cheaper that way. I'd try pricing out both buying and DIY and see which is the best deal. For filtration I think I'd buy that tho.

As for the duckweed it multiplies at an incredibly fast rate. You have to remove it every few days. It's great to feed goldies if you have it otherwise use it very carefully as it's a pain to get out of a main display tank once introduced.

+1 to Rivercats- I put a handful of duckweed into my 60g and in about 5 days the whole surface was covered. I only use It because I have anubias and since they are low light and I have high light they grow algae very quickly so I use the duckweed to shade the area where the anubias are, and I have to keep pulling a handful of it out almost daily since it multiplies so quickly. Here is a pic of the surface of my tank- notice how the duckweed is contained in that one little strip.

Attachments

• DUCKKKKKKKKS.jpeg
    DUCKKKKKKKKS.jpeg
    57.4 KB · Views: 48
What is dyi? Sorry, it hasn't been a month yet on the forums, so I'm new to lots of abbreviations, but been into the hobby for a long time so know simpler stuff like otos, plecos, lfs, etc. I will probably get duckweed, just contain it in a corner or something. For tanks, I checked Craigslist first and the only tanks between 35 an 55 gallons that are less than 150 dollars either have a giant crack or chips, are WAY dirty and are like 60 or more miles away, but I'll keep checking. eBay and Amazon have high prices and bad reviews. Any good places online?

What is dyi? Sorry, it hasn't been a month yet on the forums, so I'm new to lots of abbreviations, but been into the hobby for a long time so know simpler stuff like otos, plecos, lfs, etc. I will probably get duckweed, just contain it in a corner or something. For tanks, I checked Craigslist first and the only tanks between 35 an 55 gallons that are less than 150 dollars either have a giant crack or chips, are WAY dirty and are like 60 or more miles away, but I'll keep checking. eBay and Amazon have high prices and bad reviews. Any good places online?

DIY means Do it yourself. You can try Glasscages.com - Home

Glass cages- I looked at them about three days ago. Is their glass good? How about shipping rates? How thick is the glass to be safe, like 3/8? 1/4 is like way more money.

Keep checking. I got my 55 with stand for $35. Had to add lights filter and refinish stand. But that was perfect since I got the pieces I wanted and the stand is the color I want. Took a month on craigs to find the right one.

Also you can use office file cabinets, credenzas and printer and TV and microwave stands, of course depending on which size tanks and the quality of the item but so much of that stuff ends up almost if not free as they can hardly give it away with so many offices closing. Sofa tables and coffee tables too just add some paint if you don't like the color.

Also try the thrift stores, we have a really good Habitat for Humanity - ReStore, and when they get stuff its usually an awesome deal.

Also especially with 55 gal tanks people move and don't have room, don't be afraid to tell them that you can spend XX dollars if they don't sell it for the price they want call you and you will pick it up, just throw out an offer.

There are also several apps, my husband uses a droid phone with cProcraigslistclient. You can set it for what you are looking for and it will give you an alert when it pops up on CL that way you can get it first! lol

I see the big tanks for free, very often.

Back
Top Bottom