Anyone here from Alabama

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicodiscus

Aquarium Advice Newbie
:olympic:Hi Guys-
I'm a long time hobbyist who's been doing SW for the last ten years or so-
but recently moved to AL and can't afford to set up a full blown reef like a had-I've always loved discus-but I've never had a really nice planted FW tank-
I know the best way to get a nice collection of species is from fellow hobbyists, atleast it was in saltwater- as I was constantly pruning some corals like anthleia and xenia-and new hobbyist loved to get my trimmings-
I was wondering if anyone here, in Birmingham AL, has planted tanks that they have to prune-
I have alot of equipment from the LFS i worked at, like filters, heaters etc
if you want to trade ;)

What I plan to run is my PC's (4x96wt) over a 40gl long- is that too much Light, if so I can run only 2 of the bulbs-
I have 10k and actinic bulbs now- I know I need to get a diferent buld comb.-what do you guys reccomend?

Thanks for any input or advice-
nico:bandit:

Hi and welcome to AA!

It just so happens that I am also from the Birmingham area and I have a couple planted tanks. I prune pretty regularly....and have mostly stem plants now. I sell trimmings....haven't traded yet.

4x96w is alot over a 40g....even if you discount the actinic (not that useful in FW planted tanks)....so even the 2 10K bulbs alone is alot unless you are running co2. I would use 1 96 and 1 actinic for now...then later if you decide you want to look into a co2 setup, you could run the 2 10K bulbs. I wouldn't think you'd ever need all 4 96w bulbs...in the right spectrum. That would be serious overkill.

And the 10K bulbs work for FW....so you don't have to replace them.

What are the dimensions of your 40 long? Just wondering. I have a T5HO fixture that I'll be selling soon....and a 55g tank...going to put it on craigslist. The fixture is 48" 4x54w....so would be alot for a 40g too.

I'm starting a reef tank soon....so I may need some advice from ya. :)

Last edited:
Welcome. one great thing with plants vs coral is plants for the most part ship great. i ship plants all around the country with little to no problems.

i agree with justonemore20 about the light. you might want to start with a lower light set up until you get the hang of it.

thanks guys for the replies-

I guess I'll run 2x 10k's and look into getting co2 running-
i have some equipment from my clac. reactor I can use-

JustOneMore20-
I have a 40long that is 48"x16"x14" I think-something close to that- it's like les than 15" from lights to substrate-So I think 2x96wt is plenty- don't you?

I have alot of tank deco-and equipment like fluvials-HOB filters-heaters-and some smaller tanks-so if you're interested in trading anything let me know- or you can PM me with the $$$'s you get for the plants you want to sell.

Mgamer2000- If you're interested in shipping plants you can pm me w/ prices and pics or atleast names of what you have...

Thanks again guys..

Nico

Hey there, :wave: I am only about 50 miles NE of you. I am getting back into the hobby and would love to trade some frags in future with you. I should be started back up within 6 months.:jump:

JustOneMore20-
I have a 40long that is 48"x16"x14" I think-something close to that- it's like les than 15" from lights to substrate-So I think 2x96wt is plenty- don't you?

I have alot of tank deco-and equipment like fluvials-HOB filters-heaters-and some smaller tanks-so if you're interested in trading anything let me know- or you can PM me with the $$$'s you get for the plants you want to sell.

Yes 2x96w is for sure plenty. :) Almost too much in a tank that height....but with co2 you'll be fine. Too bad you can't stagger the 2 bulbs...like run both for only 4-5 hours a day...that would be ideal IMO. I do that with the 2x96w over my 40 breeder. But its a 2 bulb fixture and not 4 bulb.

Cool...I don't think I'll need HOBs anytime soon....possibly heaters and no small tanks (have several of my own taking up space)...but I'll let ya know when I have plants to sell.

Back
Top Bottom