Anyone Know Anything About These Lights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I appreciate all of the info. I understand the wattage, and Par. But where dues lumens play into this? If the total lumens of a particular wavelength penetrate to the substrate or the desired depth, thus giving more light, offset the par?

Following and curious about the responses to these questions.
That beams work fixture in the video puts out a lot of light!
I'm thinking about getting a planted + to go along with an existing FugeRay (20g long, CO2, dry ferts).

Planted plus has par ratings on the beamswork fixture. He was using 2 of the 1 watt version and it was pushing around 140 par I believe at the bottom of a 75 gallon

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I appreciate all of the info. I understand the wattage, and Par. But where dues lumens play into this? If the total lumens of a particular wavelength penetrate to the substrate or the desired depth, thus giving more light, offset the par?

PAR is the light's strength over a distance. Lumens is the overall quantity of light (in all directions). Higher lumens can increase the PAR of a light source, but not in the way you'd think. With poor PAR, high lumens, your substrate may be lit up, but things close to an incredibly high lumens source will get torched. Lumens are only really useful measurement for lighting a room, rather than a segmented area.

Ahh,

Well that makes sense. I have a 30in beamworks and had in my 29 inch tall. Several plants were curling and browning on the edges. That combined with the beginnings of BBA. I went back to the T8 24 watt after a CO2 dose and the curling ceased.

I had no idea that the high lumens could scorch a plant. Glad I didn't buy the other beamworks lights.

Ive got to say schoeplein that in the video the beamswork light does appear very very bright. Is there any info on PAR out there for this fixture? Id be interested to see

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Eddyk, there are several different models of Beamswork, yours may have been the weaker version.

Skelly, unfortunately not that I could find.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't think par is everything, those beams works may be bright, no rgb's though.. I'm a firm believer in that plants require other colors than whites/blues.. those reds and greens are helping the plants along too.. look at the bml, all types of colors reflecting off the water..right sk3lly? The planted plus.. nice deep reds in there.. the current satellite+.. all types of colors in there.. Hmmm, who's going to guinea pig this beams work?? You?! You?! Not me;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yep i got all sorts...
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405425057.252311.jpg

Is an old picture now but shows off the varying colours of the spectrum plants use for optimum growth

Yep i got all sorts...
View attachment 243245

Is an old picture now but shows off the varying colours of the spectrum plants use for optimum growth

Now that's what I'm talking about!! They sell this old school ked rig at my lfs for a crap ton of cash.. think it's called solarflare?? It has 18 7w leds.. I'll bet you can see the thing from Mars but I wouldn't want it..

Now that's what I'm talking about!! They sell this old school ked rig at my lfs for a crap ton of cash.. think it's called solarflare?? It has 18 7w leds.. I'll bet you can see the thing from Mars but I wouldn't want it..

Wow 7w leds!! What good is lighting your fish tank if it blinds you if you look at it!! Lol

Wow 7w leds!! What good is lighting your fish tank if it blinds you if you look at it!! Lol

Right?? It must be for reef tanks or something. .

Yea maybe reef lights are a whole new world to me. Complete novice when it comes to reef setups but id love to try a little 20g one day

Reefs tank have an extended spectrum profile. A lot of the high powered LED lamps end up bleaching out corals due to crazy high light/PAR, but lack the appropriate spectrum(s). That's a whole 'nother conversation for another thread in another subforum.

Most fresh water folks use singular Kelvin CFL bulbs and grow stuff just fine. Plants definitely gain a ton from amping up the more useful parts of the spectrum -- why my plants are that are capable of color are now deep red, or bright pink. Thanks, BML. ;)

I was wrong, they were only 3w.. 10k and actnic, def reef lights..

Thanks to the recommendation of Dallascowboys16 and others on this post. I just set up the finnex plant+ (2) 36" lights. They appear a little softer than the beamworks, but illuminate the 125g black bottom tank, quite nicely. I may keep the beamworks for supplemental lighting.

Thanks for the help, especially schoeplein for your very in depth explanation.

Back
Top Bottom