Anyone Use ADS Aqua Soil?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LindaC

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm thinking of purchasing a bag for my 10 gallon low-tech tank but not sure what kind to get, there are 3 different types but no information on which type to use for your specific tank.

Also, it's supposed to lower the hardness of your water and I have soft water (GH 40), would this be a problem?

Right now I have gravel in this tank and my plants really don't root that well. I just recently added a couple of crypts and want to be sure that they get some nutients, which they certainly don't get from plain gravel. I have flourite in my 29 gallon and I'm not too crazy about this stuff at all.

Any thoughts or suggestions on the ADS Aqua Soil?

Many thanks!

Thank you, sounds good, I think I'll order a 9 liter bag for my 10 gallon. Do I need the Power Sand too? I was going to order it but the kind I like S or M is sold out, not to mention it gets pricey and if the soil is okay on it's own, maybe I'll do without the sand.

One more question, do you have to rinse this stuff like you do with the Flourite?

No rinse, in fact, you have to try and preserve the "dust" that is on it. It recomends not stiring things up to much and losing "nutrients" to the water collumn. info is on the bag.

I do not use Powersand, so not neccesary. As for effectiveness maybe someone who is using it will chime in.

How many gallons would 1 9 liter bag of Aquasoil go for? (like Eco...you can usually say 1 20lb bad makes a 2 inch layer in a 10g....2 for 20g...and so on...) Any ideas?

One 9 liter bag goes for $26.00 and a 3 liter bag is $14.00. I've been trying to find out how much I would need in a 10 gallon, but the site doesn't give off that information.

Sorry, I wasn't too clear. I meant like how many gallons would a 9 ltr bag cover...if anyone knows. I'm not good with liters...so I have no clue how many lbs that would be.

Has anyone used this in like a 40g tank?

I used two 9 liter bags for my 30G and they covered it more than adequately. I think a single 9 liter bag would work quite well for anything from a 10-20G tank. If you're keeping small, delicate plants I would suggest the powder form of Aquasoil rather than the granular form. It is simply amazing in its ability to hold down even the smallest, most delicate plant stems. I've only been using for about a week now and can't comment much on how well the plants like it, but I simply love its physical characteristics :)

Liters are a measure of volume, not weight. It would actually be easier to figure this out than it would be to convert from lbs to thickness.

1 gallon = 3.78 liters

So you should be able to do a rough conversion to get depth of substrate.

A 10 gallon tank is 12" high, so roughly 1.2" per gallon in the tank.

9 liters is 2.4 gallons, so a 9 L bag should give you 2.8 or 2.9 inches in a 10g tank.

I can tell you that 10 gallons is equal to approx. 37 liters, I'm not too good at converting either, but I do know that much.

There used to be recommendations based on tank size on AquariumDesignGroup.com, but I can't find it now after the site rewrite. You may be able to find it by poking around.

I agree with 9L for 10gal, but you'll probably have a little left over for a nano or something. 1 9L bag was enough for the top layer in a standard 10gal (layered substrate, DIY powersand so to speak), ~2" in 8gal (24"x6.5"), and an inch or so layer in a 2.5gal (standard) and .5gal nano cube (~5" a side).

Oh I will, I can't wait to get it, probably won't be for a at least a week as I opted for the cheapest shipping method, UPS ground... :D

Back
Top Bottom