Anyone use the Red Sea CO2 Reactor 500 ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jibboo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just picked up this reactor for www.thatfishplace.com and was wondering if anyone has used it and what they think of it.

I'm currently running (2) 2-Liter bottles of DIY CO2 into it ... does anyone have any opinions or suggestions for me?

I can see that it has a speed setting ... what exactly does that do?

thanks

I don't have that exact one, but something similar. The only thing you have to watch out for is if the powerhead causes pressure in the unit, like mine does. Mine I can't use with a DI setup as the pressure of the powerhead overcomes the CO2 pressure coming out. I have mine on a pressurized system. But if the CO2 part is not run into high pressure, then it will be just fine. Looks like the one you got will probably work just fine.

I put it in the water before hooking up the CO2 (which had previously been run into a bubble ladder) and the input hose was actually shooting water out of it ... so I was a little concerned I was doing something wrong or shouldn't be using this with a DIY setup. At the time, the speed setting was set to medium ... so I have since slowed it down all of the way and it does have a check valve, so I should not getting any water going the wrong way out of it.

I guess my next question is basically, I know if its working if I can see air (CO2) in the vortex inside the unit?

the reason I succumbed to impulse buying it was that I read that it was very efficient at dissolving CO2 and since i always see bubbles go off the top of the bubble ladder, I figured I was "wasting" CO2 that my plants could use.

p51377x.jpg

Let us know how it works. I'm curious to hear. I almost purchased that one but ended up just buying the Hagen since it had the whole kit for the same price.

So far it appears to have CO2 or some gas "swirling" in the vortex ... but the proof is in the pudding or should I say the greenery ... maybe I'll take some before and after pics ... maybe I should be testing my water for CO2 content too ... I haven't tested my water in a long time.

OK, well, I apologize for being lazy and not taking any before pictures ... but I can tell you this ... I am getting the best results from my DIY CO2 than ever before. I am using (2) 2-Liter bottles on my 55g tank.

I had some plants that were just wasting away and now are flourishing like crazy. Also all of my java fern are now back to bright green. Per my results, I'd have to say highly recommended as a dispersion tool for CO2. I can't vouch for how well it works with a CO2 canister, but it sure is making a huge difference in my tank as opposed to the bubble ladder that I had before.

good question, I guess I should break out the old testing equipment.

Attachments

• tank_171.jpg
    tank_171.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 126
Hmm... this appears to be the only thread on this item... I was thinking about getting one (too lazy for DIY, and it looks really compact)

It appears that the device is working fine in your tank which is good to hear :)

Nice tank too !!

Just a quick question: What does hte device run off? A/C power? Batteries?

A/C power cord ... unfortunately for me ... my power strip is on the floor and the cord only allows the unit to go down about halfway down my tank, so I wish the cord was about 2 feet longer. But I am still really impressed with how well its working. I tried to do the double 2-liter bottle DIY before with not very good results, but this time, my java ferns are greener than they've ever been and a lot of the other plants that wouldn't grow well before for me are doing just fine.

So, it'd be nice if I could hide it better, but in terms of results I'm happy with how well its producing using just the DIY CO2.

Back
Top Bottom