anyone used construction 1000k lights for aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
does it matter what lights they are? I thought as long as watts are good, spectrum is good, kelvins are good and lux are good.

http://www.topbulb.com/find/prod_list.asp_Q_p_E_2_A_intSubCategory_E_687_A_sortby_E__A_sortdir_E_
regardless of the watts of these lights if they are 100-150-200 or 500watts, u can find them at 3200k
so all I need is to add a color temp gel that will bring it to either 5600k or 6500k or even 10000k the fixture lamps cost from 7.99 to 20.00 for 150-500w.

http://designersedge.com/

kaz said:
does it matter what lights they are?

Yes, as that tells us the spectrum, K rating, ect.. of the light.

kaz said:
I thought as long as watts are good, spectrum is good, kelvins are good and lux are good.

What is the wattage, spectrum, and lux of the light you are talking about?

I think it's worth saying first that there is a difference between K or temperature, and spectrum.

You can have two 6000k lamps but one can have peaks in the red, blue, and green portions of the spectrum, while the other may not have peaks in the same areas. This will matter to your plants.

For example: this lamp has it's major peaks in the green and in the blue/violet portion of the spectrum. While this makes certain marine life happy, it will do little for your plants. While this lamp has it's major peaks in the green, red and blue portions of the spectrum. This is a much better choice for your plants.

I don't believe there is a single filter (gel) that can take a wide spectrum light source, like the halogen lamps on that link, and pick out the portions of the spectrum you are looking for with any real efficiency.

You may be getting to that point where you are spending as much money and work as you would just buying the lamp you need in the first place. Also, the operating cost of the halogen lamps is many times higher than the fluorescent lamps. They use more electrical power per unit of light output, and do not have nearly the life span.

HTH

motion picture gels have full cto or full ctb and there on to get k's higher or lower, wouldnt raising the k's thus making the temp into the blueish. wouldnt that be as equal as blue spec?

kaz said:
motion picture gels have full cto or full ctb and there on to get k's higher or lower, wouldnt raising the k's thus making the temp into the blueish. wouldnt that be as equal as blue spec?

Since Kelvins only describes how the light appears to the human eye, adjusting the kelvin output would do little to nothing to improve how effective the bulb is for plant growth.

what is the best t40 bulb for fw planted tank and where can i buy one?
I have one that was bought at home depot full spec at 5000k

Back
Top Bottom