Api co2 booster v. Flourish excel!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FreshwaterTropical

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What's better?
Will either kill my plants? I heard excel will kill some plants which are they?

My *plants
- anacharis
- money wort
- moss ball
- wisteria
- java fern
- micro sword
- banana plant
- green cabomba
- amazon sword
- java moss
- anubias nana
- Pygmy chain sword
- small sword

There are some plants that are sensitive to the stuff yes. Anacharis, Val's and probably a few to a handful of others.

Some say they can be acclimated to it. Small doses to begin with and don't dose on top of them or directly into their personal flow. After a short while of that, if you see no melt, then you are probably safe to up the dosage a bit.

Wait for others to chime in before you start dosing though. The more info you have the better.

It's the same stuff as far as I know.

I've never had an issue with glutaraldehyde (active ingredient in excel) killing off anything, but then again I don't dose the maximum recommended amount either.

It's the same stuff, no doubt. I think API's product is of a lower concentration than Excel is, I think 1.6% to 2.5%, meaning API's is more water than Seachem's product. So they'll kill off the same stuff.

That being said, I'm almost positive any glutaraldehyde product will kill your mossballs.

I've never directly applied it to hair algae, but I've seen it turn BBA pink/white in short order.

I have dosed it irregularly in half doses in a tank with moss balls without any noticeable issue to the moss balls but then again they don't do much of anything anyway.

I would go with seachem excel personally. As for issues with vals, i have a ton of cork screw vals in my 30g been dosing 3 times the directed amount. Only problem is the Vals are spreading like crazy! Turned down the daily dose now, just got co2 :)

I've lost zero plants to excel and I dose daily. Usually the recommended dose if not more and no problems so far. Been doing this product for 3 years now.

Back
Top Bottom