Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-13-2006, 10:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

API Stress Coat - cause of slimy film?

I am wondering if anyone else out there uses API Stress Coat during PWC... I only use it when the mood strikes me (no real rhyme or reason) and it seems that when I do, I get a slimy film on the top of my tank... Anyone else had this problem? I think I have factored out DOC build-up...

Hmmmm

dapellegrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I use it when I do my PWC's, and for about 8 hours after there is what looks like a small oil spill on the top of the tanks, real thin but is multi colored under the lights.

drobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:41 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not a big fan of Stress Coat. In most cases the extra additives for helping with the fish's slime coat are unecessary and are probably irritating to the fish which is why it encourages the production of the slime coat. Aloe Vera is one of the ingrediates and a good canidate for causing the film on the water's surface.

I prefer to stick to Water Conditioners that neutralize chlorine, chloramines, heavy metals, and when necessary detoxify Ammonia. The rest is extra stuff that I don't need to have in my tanks. Nine times out of ten good clean water is the best cure for fish.
Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ya. I got a gallon of this stuff before the tank was converted to heavily planted, and have not used it often. Never really thought about the different types of water conditioners or studied what was in them. The couple of times that I have used it, I seem to get slimy water on top of the tank.... Hmmm... Might be another casualty of the learning curve.

Otherwise, I don't use anything, just re-dose my ferts after PWC... Haven't seen any problems doing it that way, but am wondering if I should be more concerned about this...
dapellegrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

It has been suggested that "Stress Coats" with aloe are not good for Gouramis. Something about mucking up the labrynth organ. I have seen this in the training materials from one of the "big box" pet stores.

Tags
api, film, stress, stress coat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com