Aponogeton bulbs Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swanandmokashi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got a package of the aponogeton bulbs from Wal-mart some time back. Half of them sprouted and 4 of them were duds. The package gave an address where you could return the dud ones. I sent the dud ones back(I never do such things but tried it this time what the heck).

I got back some 10 bulbs back from the company (Seachem I think) and the funny thing is most of the bulbs are much bigger than what I originally both . Some of them are pretty big and very round. Any idea what kind these might be ?

They are probably the same plant, or possibly dwarf lilly, but they are also probably fresher and not so dried up as the ones at Walmart, since you can imagine how long those sit around before being sold.

That's so cool that you got replacement bulbs, it never occurred to me to return the duds! :D

I've also seen some of those larger Aponogeton bulbs turn out to be Aponogeton ulvaceus. Gorgeous plant, by the way!!

Most Tiger lotus bulbs I have seen are small, perfectly round, smooth, and black. I guess it depends on which Nymphaea you are calling Tiger Lotus. The common Aponogetons that are in bulb mixes are crispus, ulvaceus, natans, and undulata, or a hybrid mix of any of them. I would be shocked if the bulbs came from Seachem, they don't do plants.

Robert
www.aquabotanic.com

Had some round ones in my package. Not sure what they are but they have arrow shaped leaves and send up floating leaves to the surface. Redish green in color.
Buy the way some of those bulbs might take up to a month to sprout. Others sprout in just a few days. The round ones took the longest and I thought would never sink to the bottom. They moved threw the tank current like they were alive.

Sounds like a generic Nymphaea which is what is commonly called Dwarf Water Lilly.

Right - that's the dwarf lily that I have gotten from Walmart along with aponogeton. It is a very nice plant!

yeah but it gets really big. right now im using it as a shade around my driftwood for my corys

the round ones are taking the longest time .. that is true, if they turn out to be the red tiger lotus that would be awesome :twisted:

I have been planting these wonder bulbs for the last year or so. Here are a few observations.The red or green with the arrow leaves are Nymphaea. I have had them grow to the top of my 50 like lilly pads, but some are smaller and shorter. Some have formed one or more small bulbs and plant off of a stem. I clip them off and plant. The Aponogeton send one or more stems to the surface and get small blooms. Take a small soft brush and brush across the blossoms to pollinate. Small plants will form and fall off. Most will float on the surface and root. Gather them up and plant. Hope this helps. 8)

Welcome to AA BASSNMAN
Good info to know. I have moved some new sprouts to my new 20gal. free plants. :lol:
I was wondering how the lillys reproduced. Will look for new bulbs growing.
Have you seen the Aponogetons go into a dormate stage?

Back
Top Bottom