aponogeton ulvaceus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbueno

Aquarium Advice Activist
Its a bulb plant I bought at my lfs sell it has twisty broad leafs...it grows like crazy...i have this huge growth of about a foot I about 3 days...whats the best way to get the maxium width or size of this plant?

You just need to provide good growing conditions - carbon, ferts, and decent light. Also, older plants will put off bigger leaves than younger plants, so that might just take time.

Should I trim the growth? Its grown a long narrow thing should I trimm it back to length desired?

You can't really 'trim' an aponogeton like you can a stem plant. You have to remove the entire leaf basically. This is one of the limitations of rosette/bulb plants in that it's more difficult to shape a plant that's not the right size for the tank, hence why a healthy amazon sword in a 10g looks ridiculous.

Wait, are you talking about the long stemmy looking guys? Those are just runners, and you can hack them off if you want.

I chopped one off but left one it has sprouted... Good? Bad?

ForumRunner_20130415_014100.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130415_013937.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130415_013937.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 82
That looks like a flower. You can just leave it.

Cool it has gottin realy big now ill post a pic later but the white part is almost 2 inches...

Idk what to think about it... Kinda wanna chop it off but maybe after it drops the seeds
ForumRunner_20130418_182245.jpg

Aponogetons send up those big shoots up for reproducing. I have the same plant that takes about 2 days to send a runner up to the top of my aquarium. Supposedly if you let it stay there it will germinate and die back for a month or two before growing back along with tons of copies. I have yet to see it die back and just leave the runners there. They don't hurt anything

Back
Top Bottom