Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-02-2011, 04:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Question Apple Snail vs. Moss Ball??

Hi All,

Would love to get a moss ball (Marimo Ball), but am unsure if my Apple Snail will eat it.

I have live plants in my tank that my apple snail doesn't even look at, let alone eat, so I'm wondering if it would be okay to add the moss ball since it's a moss (obviously...lol)... not sure if that's on their menu of preferred food. Also, I have an amano shrimp... not sure if they would eat it either.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Cheers!

Old 07-02-2011, 05:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your apple snails won't damage the marimo ball. Shrimp like to feed on it, but they will not damage it.

Old 07-02-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by siva View Post
Your apple snails won't damage the marimo ball. Shrimp like to feed on it, but they will not damage it.
Awesome, thanks for the quick response!
Old 07-03-2011, 06:29 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Moss ball = algae, snail = algae eater
Lol I would have figured the snail would destroy it, have no experience with this though
Old 07-03-2011, 08:44 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollabill420 View Post
Lol I would have figured the snail would destroy it, have no experience with this though
I know, right? That's kind of what I was thinking too; that's why I was unsure. However, I do see them in a lot of tanks that I've checked out on YouTube and they seem fine, so I'm gonna get two and see how it goes.

If they start eating them, then worst case scenario is I bought some expensive Snail food...lol.

Thanks for the input!

Cheers!
Old 07-03-2011, 03:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollabill420 View Post
Nope, apple snails are not algae eaters. They scavenge more for leftovers. Even true algae eaters such as plecos, hillstream loaches, red cherry shrimp, and nerite snails for example, have never in my experience damaged a marimo ball. The only algae eater I have ever seen feed on one, and I do have more marimo balls than I could count in many tanks in my home with many types of algae eaters, is dwarf shrimp and crayfish.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:10 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Nope, apple snails are not algae eaters. They scavenge more for leftovers. Even true algae eaters such as plecos, hillstream loaches, red cherry shrimp, and nerite snails for example, have never in my experience damaged a marimo ball. The only algae eater I have ever seen feed on one, and I do have more marimo balls than I could count in many tanks in my home with many types of algae eaters, is dwarf shrimp and crayfish.
Thanks for clarifying that. Much appreciated!
I can't wait to get them in my tank!
Old 07-03-2011, 04:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

No prob. I'm a big fan of the marimo. I somehow lucked out tremendously and scored two softball sized balls for $5 a peice I wish I had ordered more of them since I typically pay twice that for golfball sized! Now there are some larger fish out there that I don't keep that will destroy them. I believe I've heard fancy golds will..certainly other larger fish as well. But nothing I've kept
Old 07-03-2011, 04:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Aquabid usually has great prices on marimo moss balls
Old 07-03-2011, 06:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
No prob. I'm a big fan of the marimo. I somehow lucked out tremendously and scored two softball sized balls for $5 a peice I wish I had ordered more of them since I typically pay twice that for golfball sized! Now there are some larger fish out there that I don't keep that will destroy them. I believe I've heard fancy golds will..certainly other larger fish as well. But nothing I've kept
Wow, that's a great price!
I just ordered from Foster & Smith Aquatics (I ordered my other plants through them), and they were $11.99 a piece. LOL

I've been checking their site on and off quite frequently for a couple months, but they were never in stock. I had them email me when they were in stock, so I just ordered them today. They say they are 3" to 4" so I'm assuming thats diagnonally and not around... although, I'm not really sure. Not sure if that's small, medium, or large?

Happy July 4th!
Have a great weekend!

Tags
apple, apple snail, moss, snail

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com