Apple Snail vs. Moss Ball??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyameeGirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi All,

Would love to get a moss ball (Marimo Ball), but am unsure if my Apple Snail will eat it.

I have live plants in my tank that my apple snail doesn't even look at, let alone eat, so I'm wondering if it would be okay to add the moss ball since it's a moss (obviously...lol)... not sure if that's on their menu of preferred food. Also, I have an amano shrimp... not sure if they would eat it either. :blink:

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Cheers!

Your apple snails won't damage the marimo ball. Shrimp like to feed on it, but they will not damage it.

Moss ball = algae, snail = algae eater
Lol I would have figured the snail would destroy it, have no experience with this though

I know, right? That's kind of what I was thinking too; that's why I was unsure. However, I do see them in a lot of tanks that I've checked out on YouTube and they seem fine, so I'm gonna get two and see how it goes.

If they start eating them, then worst case scenario is I bought some expensive Snail food...lol. :facepalm:

Thanks for the input!

Cheers!

Moss ball = algae, snail = algae eater
Lol I would have figured the snail would destroy it, have no experience with this though

Nope, apple snails are not algae eaters. They scavenge more for leftovers. Even true algae eaters such as plecos, hillstream loaches, red cherry shrimp, and nerite snails for example, have never in my experience damaged a marimo ball. The only algae eater I have ever seen feed on one, and I do have more marimo balls than I could count in many tanks in my home with many types of algae eaters, is dwarf shrimp and crayfish. (y)

Nope, apple snails are not algae eaters. They scavenge more for leftovers. Even true algae eaters such as plecos, hillstream loaches, red cherry shrimp, and nerite snails for example, have never in my experience damaged a marimo ball. The only algae eater I have ever seen feed on one, and I do have more marimo balls than I could count in many tanks in my home with many types of algae eaters, is dwarf shrimp and crayfish. (y)

Thanks for clarifying that. Much appreciated!
I can't wait to get them in my tank! :ROFLMAO:

No prob. I'm a big fan of the marimo. I somehow lucked out tremendously and scored two softball sized balls for $5 a peice :D I wish I had ordered more of them since I typically pay twice that for golfball sized! :eek: Now there are some larger fish out there that I don't keep that will destroy them. I believe I've heard fancy golds will..certainly other larger fish as well. But nothing I've kept :)

No prob. I'm a big fan of the marimo. I somehow lucked out tremendously and scored two softball sized balls for $5 a peice :D I wish I had ordered more of them since I typically pay twice that for golfball sized! :eek: Now there are some larger fish out there that I don't keep that will destroy them. I believe I've heard fancy golds will..certainly other larger fish as well. But nothing I've kept :)

Wow, that's a great price!
I just ordered from Foster & Smith Aquatics (I ordered my other plants through them), and they were $11.99 a piece. :eek: LOL

I've been checking their site on and off quite frequently for a couple months, but they were never in stock. I had them email me when they were in stock, so I just ordered them today. They say they are 3" to 4" so I'm assuming thats diagnonally and not around... although, I'm not really sure. Not sure if that's small, medium, or large?

Happy July 4th!
Have a great weekend!

Aquabid usually has great prices on marimo moss balls

I should have checked there. I ordered my betta from there a couple weeks ago... I didn't even think to check there for the mariomo balls! :facepalm:

Well, when I upsize my tank, I'll be getting another one or two, so I'll check there.

Thanks!

Happy 4th of July! :dance:

MyameeGirl said:
I know, right? That's kind of what I was thinking too; that's why I was unsure. However, I do see them in a lot of tanks that I've checked out on YouTube and they seem fine, so I'm gonna get two and see how it goes.

If they start eating them, then worst case scenario is I bought some expensive Snail food...lol. :facepalm:

Thanks for the input!

Cheers!

Lol nice , mite grow fast enough to keep up with them then you got awesome snail grub lol

Id swear to god they were eating bio film off the glass when they were cruising they got their "teeth" going to beat the band lol they do primarily eat "leftovers" not sure what you mean by that it's easier to feed correctly for every critter in the aquarium, just get the right foods and there is no leftovers when done right maybe the odd flake, I find flake extremely hard to control, got it worked down to a science after a couple decades now lol
+1 to controllable filters and powerheads lol

Id swear to god they were eating bio film off the glass when they were cruising they got their "teeth" going to beat the band lol they do primarily eat "leftovers" not sure what you mean by that it's easier to feed correctly for every critter in the aquarium, just get the right foods and there is no leftovers when done right maybe the odd flake, I find flake extremely hard to control, got it worked down to a science after a couple decades now lol
+1 to controllable filters and powerheads lol

Yeah, mine does the same thing. I think I have the cleanest glass in Florida! LOL

I'm pretty surprised how well he cleans the excess food off the floor of the tank. I got the shrimp more so to do that, but this snail is awesome with the housekeeping! :lol: I never have anything left on my gravel at the end of the day night.

MyameeGirl said:
Yeah, mine does the same thing. I think I have the cleanest glass in Florida! LOL

I'm pretty surprised how well he cleans the excess food off the floor of the tank. I got the shrimp more so to do that, but this snail is awesome with the housekeeping! :lol: I never have anything left on my gravel at the end of the day night.

They gotta be some of the funniest animals on earth lol I get excited when they break speed records across the glass, never sure what they are sliming too though I think they see something shiny

Back
Top Bottom