AquaKai's 55g ReScape Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galligak

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello there. It has been a while since I have posted anything about my tanks so I think that it is due time that I do.

I am planning on rescaping my 55g and making it a dirt bottom one. Here's what I have:

Aquarium: standard 55g
Lighting: x2 T5HO 54w
Filter: Marineland Penguin Filter (50-70g)
Heater: 200W
Substrate: Currently just sand, soon to be dirt with sand cap

Fauna:
x1 Angelfish
x3 Panda Corydoras (come on pet store, get some more in!)
x1 Peppered Corydora
x7 Diamond Tetra
x3 Cardinal Tetra (going to get 3 more soon)
x2 L. Curvicep
x1 Albino Bushynose Pleco
x4 Otos

Flora:
Java Fern
Corkscrew Val
Jungle Val
Bacopa Carolina
Cardamine
Anubias Afzelii
Some Crypt
Wisteria

My Tank:

The Dirt to Use:

Thanks for looking!

Okay, I worked for about an hour and a half tonight. My goal is to have it up without fish tomorrow night. Here's what the mess looks like.

Any suggestions on how to get the sand out?

Following, can't wait to see what you turn it into! To remove the substrate in my tanks I have used a large cheap plastic cup as scooper, it works pretty well.

Do you have something in mind for the tank? Maybe a picture of an example how you'd like the tank to look?

Following, can't wait to see what you turn it into! To remove the substrate in my tanks I have used a large cheap plastic cup as scooper, it works pretty well.

Do you have something in mind for the tank? Maybe a picture of an example how you'd like the tank to look?

That's what I was thinking if doing. I'm going to need some more tubs to put everything in! Hopefully it'll all be done tomorrow:)

Here's kind of what I have in mind, but who knows what'll happen.

Okay. So for the past 4 and a half (ish) hours I've been working on the tank. I took it all down, cleaned it, put the dirt and the sand in, planted and now have everything but the fish in it. Here is the process with pictures.

And it's done... for now... Here are some pictures with the fish!

This isn't my first NPT, but it is my first big NPT. Is there anything that I should look out for besides doing the usual PWCs. Any suggestions?

Just got the final cardinals to the tank. They're really schooling right now and look amazing! All I need to do now is get a black background and get 2 or 3 more panda cories and it shall be done! (For now;))

I just added a background to the aquarium, I love it! I still need to clean the glass and the sand... but hey it's summer I can get around to that later. We also might be taking this aquarium down and getting a 75g! Yay, more fish:)

Before:

After:

Well after being away for a week everything now has ich and a lot of the plants were ate:( I'm currently fighting the ich and I seem to be winning! I've decided that after the ich is gone that I am going to get rid of the diamond tetras and my curvicep (anyone in Central Ohio want them?) This would take me down to this stock:
x1 Angelfish
x1 Peppered Cory
x3 Panda Cory
x1 Bristlenose Pleco

Here is my current plan for the stock:
x2 Angelfish
x1 Peppered Cory
x6-7 Panda Cory
x2 Bristlenose Pleco
x8-10 Lemon or Emperor or Penguin or Pristilla Tetras or Harlequin Rasboras or perhaps Cherry Barbs

Which one do you think is better? Any ideas?

I also plan on grabbing some more crypts or swords when at the store.

Greetings everyone. It has been a long time since I updated this thread, and I felt like the tank has gone through enough changes to post some more... plus I need some help on plant choices...

So here it is now (6 months later)

The stock has changed as well.
1 angel
2 bolivian rams
1 BN pleco
6 Cherry barbs
8 black neon tetras
6 Panda cories
4 ottos
1 peppered cory (from a long time ago and shocked he's still around)

I'm planning on moving the plants on the right side over to the left-ish side by the others of its kind leaving the right side barren... Any suggestions for tall plants that need low light? I'm thinking crypt spirialis or jungle vals... Any other suggestions? I'm up for anything in the low light/low-medium lighting!

I'm a big fan of corkscrew Val's for low light and easy plants, they fill in the tank nicely and add good height to the scape.

Back
Top Bottom