Aquarium canopy/top help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dstephen

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just upgraded my lights to the finnex planted 24/7 SE, and they are a huge improvement from the last lights I had. However I also have a glass top that has a hinge and opens halfway. IMG_0204.jpg

Even when completely clean, it dims the light a little and I feel like it reduces the PAR. I am going topless right now but I don't want the evaporation rate to speed up. IMG_0206.jpg

Should I leave my canopy top off or is there any suggestions on something to cover it with that the lighting stays lit through?

Also the black part with the hinge on the glass top blocks light as well.

If you remove the top your evaporation will increase. Also consider if anything in your tank will jump or crawl out.

I had all these challenges and left the top on. The plants are doing ok?
IMG_9881.jpg

Those standard lids with the dark hinge will affect PAR in certain parts of the tank, no matter what, because of that hinge. I decided to live with the evaporation, but, to minimize the risk of jumpers, instead of no lid I made a DIY "window screen" lid. Plenty of light gets through. Here's a good video on them:

Those standard lids with the dark hinge will affect PAR in certain parts of the tank, no matter what, because of that hinge. I decided to live with the evaporation, but, to minimize the risk of jumpers, instead of no lid I made a DIY "window screen" lid. Plenty of light gets through. Here's a good video on them:

Neons won't jump out though right?

The 1/4" netting is too small for all but very young neons to get through. I have 11 in my 20-long, and haven't found any on the floor, yet.

Naturally, one of my Otos found one of the few open spots. :rolleyes:

But what I'm saying in neons never really jump out in the first place?

My mystery snails would crawl out to lay eggs. And the rainbows startle easy. I heard them bounce off the lid.

I just upgraded my lights to the finnex planted 24/7 SE, and they are a huge improvement from the last lights I had. However I also have a glass top that has a hinge and opens halfway. View attachment 300092

Even when completely clean, it dims the light a little and I feel like it reduces the PAR. I am going topless right now but I don't want the evaporation rate to speed up. View attachment 300093

Should I leave my canopy top off or is there any suggestions on something to cover it with that the lighting stays lit through?

I wouldn't worry about the drop in par. It would be minimal and if your only growing low light plants the SE will have more than enough power to go through the lid and provide enough PAR [emoji106]

You're sure it's real glass? Is it stained? If it is replace them. You can use silicone to make a new translucent hinge.

Glass tops get dirty fast! Was planning on cutting some acrylic to fit the top
Acrylic will bow unless the room and water are the same temp. The warm side grows causing it bow down into the water.

Acrylic scratches easily. No matter how careful you are it will get all torn up over time.

Acrylic attracts dust through static electricity generated by dis-similar "atmosphere" inside and outside.

I've tried it. Went back to DS (1/8" or 3.2mm.) [emoji102]

Back
Top Bottom