Aquarium plant trouble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DinoManDraves

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I have a 55 gallon right now. I have a whole bunch of hornwort, two java ferns, a amazon plant plant, and an anubias.

The anubias lost a major leaf. First it turned yellow, then it turned brown.

The Java fern's leaves are slowly turning brown, then are dying.

The sword plants leaves either turn brown or turn transparent.

The hornwort is growing without error.

I believe it may be my lighting. I have read that you need 2-watts per gallon, and I only have 40 watts. (Or at least, that's what my lights say)

I'm planning to make a co2 injector. I add fertilizer every week.

What should I do?

I would assume that the lights you are referring to are the ones that come standard with a kit tank. If so, that is probably the first major problem for your plants. Those lights are meant to provide enough light to see the fish in the tank, but not nearly enough to grow any plants, even the low light plants you have now. While I am in no position to tell you what you should do, I can say that if I were in your shoes, I would look into a better lighting system. There are complete kits that you can purchase, or if you are a DIY type person, you can purchase a retrofit kit and upgrade your lights using the light case/housing you have now. T5, T8, PC, etc. Then, while you are making up your mind about the lights, look into fertilizers and CO2. But without the light, you and your plants will be in a tough bind if there are nutrients and CO2 that they can't use, and you will have an uninvited guest in your tank… algae. I would hold off on the CO2 for the time being, but that’s just me. I'm sure someone with better tact, and better ideas will be along soon enough. Good luck, and welcome to the wonderful world of planted aquariums.

well even so i would think the anubias and java fern still should be able to survive though that. how old is the bulb? why not go to home depot/lowes and get a dual t8 fixture? this should give you enough light to keep at least some of those plants alive. i wouldnt even bother with co2 or ferts.

I just posted an add for aquarium lighting. Should I get something in the 150 watt range? Thanks

just depends on what you want to do. personally i would look for a 2 bulb t5 ho.

It sounds like a nutrient issue to me. I'd dose flourish and consider putting a root tab near the sword. Give it a few weeks and then evaluate my lighting.

my first guess was a nutrient def too. what kind of ferts are you adding? dont be afraid to add ferts because of algae.
the only thing that confuses me about it is that the hornwort would more than likely show def symptoms much faster than the anubias or java fern.

my theory is that its the lighting too. i bet you have old bulbs or that they are actinics. both, the anubias and java fern, should be fine under the amount of light that you have... they will just grow very slowly. i dont think that you should increase your lighting without adding pressurized co2

Back
Top Bottom