Aquarium plants ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You could also just change out the incandescent bulbs that it will come with to some compact flourescent lamps. And that will open your tank up to a lot more plants. Here is a pic of mine with four cfl's 18 watt 6500 k lamps.

View attachment 183089

Just make sure you look for a bulb that's 5000k to 10000k anything lower and the spectrum will be to low for growing plants.
Good luck on your aquarium adventure!!!!!! :)

Here ya go guys! If you all can see something wrong with this post let me know! Haha this is what was said. Is this not what we do? Take our experiences and share them? HELLO!?

River cats ... You just did compare the two. You said you took you 10000ks out of your metal halide fixtures.
I have red plants as well and they do way better in my 36 gal with a 10k lamp and a pink rosette, with plenty of iron supplements then they do in my 29 with 65k. So whe opinions are opinions that's all they are.
Did anyone read what I said to fish lover? They have a stock hood and was looking for a way to upgrade what they had, not a bunch of preferences and techno babble.

I said I had 10K in metal halides and T5HO's, I wasn't comparing I was simply sharing what I have found in my tank. Your reds do well and look good because of the pink rosette bulb. And I've also stated it all depends on what works in an individuals tank.

Yes I read all the posts, the OP asked if there were any plants that didn't need light. You responded with upgrading to CFL's assuming that's what a stock hood would have. Yes you stated anything in the 5000K-10K would grow plants but that means nothing to a newbie who doesn't probably know what that even means. Now through everyone's opinions, including your own, of what works in their tank as far as color spectrum goes the OP can hopefully better understand what the "K" color spectrum is, what it can look like in various tanks, and make an educated decision on buying new bulbs or upgrading if he so chooses to do so after he even gets a tank. Also when someone new knows nothing about lighting and bulbs it's good for them to have a better understanding of lighting in general. Often times posts grow and expand further into subjects. That's what this forum is for in my opinion... helping others learn and to expand our own knowledge. I don't consider giving more information on a related subject to be babble. If that was the case then the majority of the posts on threads would be considered babble and most posts in threads are actually opinions and sharing.

I said I had 10K in metal halides and T5HO's, I wasn't comparing I was simply sharing what I have found in my tank. Your reds do well and look good because of the pink rosette bulb. And I've also stated it all depends on what works in an individuals tank.

Yes I read all the posts, the OP asked if there were any plants that didn't need light. You responded with upgrading to CFL's assuming that's what a stock hood would have. Yes you stated anything in the 5000K-10K would grow plants but that means nothing to a newbie who doesn't probably know what that even means. Now through everyone's opinions, including your own, of what works in their tank as far as color spectrum goes the OP can hopefully better understand what the "K" color spectrum is, what it can look like in various tanks, and make an educated decision on buying new bulbs or upgrading if he so chooses to do so after he even gets a tank. Also when someone new knows nothing about lighting and bulbs it's good for them to have a better understanding of lighting in general. Often times posts grow and expand further into subjects. That's what this forum is for in my opinion... helping others learn and to expand our own knowledge. I don't consider giving more information on a related subject to be babble. If that was the case then the majority of the posts on threads would be considered babble and most posts in threads are actually opinions and sharing.

You go rivercats lol.

LOL. The best quote I think I ever read and can't remember who said it in here but I will NEVER forget the statement. "Questioning Rivercats about anything concerning plants is like questioning Walt Disney about Micky Mouse" I'm not saying she's the only one in here that knows alot about plants but she has always given me great info patiently and gracefully. MANY in here are so thankful for her. OS.

Boy you don't like being wrong do you? Go back read the post again. The person told everyone that they had a stock hood( what would come with the tank) and they 98% of the time come with the clear 15 watt incandescent bulbs. So I therefore told them they could upgrade to cfl's. and the spectrum they could get lamps in that would grow plants. 5k to 10k. A quick and easy upgrade that someone new to the hobby could understand. It's unscrewing two lamps and then screwing two new ones back. This person did not ask about washing out reds or par or any of that. Understanding spectrum is key to growing plants but that's not what was asked. And this is a starter tank not a high tech show tank. So me assuming no, me comprehending the question that was asked , yes.
As for as lighting goes? I might be kind of new to the planted tank world but I have worked in the lighting, sign and electrical industry for years. I can rebuild, repair and build any metal halide , high pressure sodium, mixed vapor, led or t5ho , t8 or t12 out there so while you want to sit here and go back and forth with me. Why don't you go back and read the post from the beginning figure out what the person was asking and see if you have a more simple and to the point answer then the one I gave. If I gave sound advice why not agree?
You have a very beautiful tank and are very knowledgable I'm sure, and I have respect for your skills. But you are wrong on this post. This person is asking about growing plants with the hood that came with their tank not going and getting a high power upgrade. So if you have a better solution then mine ill hear it and maybe learn something.

image-2348609048.jpg

.....^^^^ simple easy upgrade for a stock ten gal hood.

Boy you don't like being wrong do you?

Just want to respectfully mention that no one is wrong here because no one is trying to argue with you. People have just given advice based on their experience and differing perspectives that are ultimately related to the original post.

Are there any aquarium plants that don't need special lightning or heat ?

As already mentioned it's pretty simple to change out the bulbs on stock lighting systems, but once you know exactly what it is we can help you more with the specifics on that. To answer your original question there are a number of plants that will do just fine with low lighting and do not require expensive systems or extensive maintenance. Eventually though you may look into providing basic fertilizers (which are inexpensive and very easy to do). Maybe once you've gotten the tank and decided on your substrate and bulbs we can help come up with a very specific list of plants you can get based on what's available to you and what can order online. (y)

[Quote: Are there any aquarium plants that don't need special lightning or heat ?]
[Quote: Well I'm getting a 10 gallon that comes with light but I don't know what kind it is]

Lord your like a dog with a bone... no one is right or wrong here and I don't see the entire issue your having. The OP doesn't even have a tank, they are getting one, there are his two posts, it would have a stock light, so until a tank and light is actually bought upgrading is a moot point. And I never disagreed with your advice so think what you want but the subject is exhausted especially since no one but you is having a problem with any advice being given on the thread.

And the advice that was given was also to the OP could look for a tank that might possibly already have a decent light in it so they might not have to upgrade I don't know why this person is having a problem with us giving the OP more info than they asked for. So they can make a well informed decision on what tank/light combo to get. Sorry fish lover that some people feel that they have to be right and there the only one that is and that this thread has gone waaayyy off subject. I'm sure between rivercats, old scales and mabey myself we can help put a list of low light plants together for you.

Last edited:
The suggestion of getting CFL's instead of the clear incandescent bulbs is a good one if your light ends up being that kind. Just check that the hood is deep & wide enough for the CFL's to fit in before you buy them. Also the 6500K CFL bulbs are pretty common.
Let us know what you end up with and we'll help you with appropriate plants. Good luck.
OS.

Back
Top Bottom