Aquarium plants are dying.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oceanblue

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I converted my 20g aquarium into planted tank few months ago. I've eco-complete substrate layered with Petco black sand. Basic water parameters (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate) are perfectly fine, however I'm not able to successfully grow plants.

The leaves changes to pale yellow and eventually the plant dies; please see attached image. I'm not sure what's going wrong. Could you please let me know what am I missing here? Should I be checking for any additional parameters?

Attachments

• Plant.jpg
    Plant.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 105
I would not leave the plants in the pots. This makes them root bound and restricts their growth. Also are you using fertilizers? Amazon swords need root tabs to really do well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The roots will grow through the holes in the pot. Quite often receive plants in pots with roots far extending from the pot.

I do agree that this plant needs nutrients available to its roots

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What kind of lighting so you have

Thanks for your response.

Only one plant is in the pot, others are directly into the substrate. I thought planting directly into the substrate damaged the root and so planted one in the pot, even I removed the sponge that came with it and filled the pot with substrate before putting in. So I don't think the pot might be causing the problem.

Aquarium has an LED lighting that came with the kit. I keep them running 8-10 hrs a day.

Sent from my XT1060 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Probably a mix of needing root tabs and usually standard lighting is pretty weak.

Caleb

Your lighting might very well be insufficient. If its part of a kit I would say 99% certain it is. Can you give us more details of the hood/light?

I have 2 swords in one of my tanks and if I forget to add root tabs and ferts my plants will get a leaf or two like that. I don't have great light on the tank they are in either. Once I add root tabs and ferts, cut the see through leaves off, the swords start growing new leaves that are healthy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Quite true. But some "standard" lighting can be pretty bad here in the US Bruh...

Caleb

I understand what your saying but i was under the impression anubias', crypts and swords could survive (not thrive) in just ambient light. Addition of nicer lighting obviously accelerates growth

Your lighting might very well be insufficient. If its part of a kit I would say 99% certain it is. Can you give us more details of the hood/light?

I'm not sure about the lumens of the light, there are no specifications about the LED lights on the aquarium kit.

Sent from my XT1060 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I understand what your saying but i was under the impression anubias', crypts and swords could survive (not thrive) in just ambient light. Addition of nicer lighting obviously accelerates growth

+1 i have all the mentioned plants and java fern in my 20L under a t8 light. The swords are not growing, but they are not dying either.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

+1 i have all the mentioned plants and java fern in my 20L under a t8 light. The swords are not growing, but they are not dying either.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have Anubias under t8s at 20 inch and its grown two flowers as well as new leaves, no ferts or co2.

I have swords in a 20L under tin pot LED's again sprouting leaves, no ferts, no co2.

Back
Top Bottom