Aquarium Plants pls help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChuckBay

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I have so many questions where to start,

(I have a juwel 180 with extra rena xp2 filter)
Whats the best lighting for my tank? (lights and time they are on)
What is the cause of the black tufts of algae i get?
Do more plants help reduce algae?
Do i need any thing extra for plant keeping??
Do i need a bubble aeriator thing?
Is sand better than gravel for plants?

Thanks all in advance,

P.s. sorry for the large ammount of questions im new to aquarium forums!

Hi!

First, what kind of tank are you wanting? Something simple, like a low-light setup, or are you wanting to go high-tech with high-lighting, CO2, and ferts?

More plants can help, as they consume the nutrients so the algae cannot. This requires, however, that you keep all of you nutrients appropriately balanced so that there's not excess of one or another.

Hello, thatnkyou,
I want preferably a well planted tank... does that need all that extra equipment?

You can have high light well planted tanks and low light well planted tanks. :)

You can grow many plants without injecting co2, but you have to keep the lighting down a bit so you don't have increased algae issues. Is this more of what you want....to keep it on the simple side?

Bubble aerators aren't necessary. Sand and gravel are both fine for planted tanks.

whats the difference between low and high light ? is that the time its on or bulb types? and thankyou this is all very helpful :D

It's the amount of light. For example on a 55 gallon aquarium, 55 watts would be about low light, 110 watts would be about medium light, 165 watts would be about high light, and 220+ watts would be very high light.

getting started

hello!

I just learned the hard way of starting an aquarium. But this is what I have learned and has resulted in a beautiful aquarium.

I have a 30 gallon vertical.
I started with a good substrate, I didnt go to the store and buy the dirt. I went to the local creek bed. Got a pale of silt and baked it in the oven until sterile.

I placed coarse gravel over the substrate in the back and fine sand in front.

I bought a canopy lighting that has 65 wtt upgradable to 130 watts.

I placed all my larger plants in little clay pots and planted them in the background.

set up a DIY CO2 reactor

for fertilizer I use a liquid cow manure, but be careful using cow manure, it will cause algae if you use to much.

Once my aquarium has settled down, (cycled) I keep my hands out of it.

also, plant selection. This is tricky because what you buy at petco is usually a native pond plant around my area of living. You can never be sure what is truly an underwater plant or shore plant. This is how I learned, if you hold the plant by the stem and it stand erect on its own, then you have a shore plant, however, if it flops over and needs support, then chances are you have a true aquatic plant.

I don't over feed the fish, only give them enough to finish in one minute.

If you have what appears to be dark algae, chances are those are diatoms. Usually low lighting causes that and is normal for all aquariums when starting one, however, take a gentle tooth brush and remove off the leaves of the plant. Once you're aquarium cycles you shouldnt have diatoms that often.

Good luck, but be forwarned, having a beautiful aquarium is additive, I can spend all day sitting in front of it. My plants grow at least 2 to 3 inches a day. I have actually started holding tanks in the backyard for all the additional plant growth and cuttings. Now I have moved a lot of my fish to those tanks also, since they breed like rabbits.

is that decided by th bulbs?

Yes and No. The wattage on the bulbs will tell you how much light you have, but you can't just buy higher watt bulbs and put them into your fixture if you want to increase the amount of light as each fixture is built to provide a specific amount of light.

Thanks for the toothbrush tip its worked well,

Lighing: i have 2 30 watt light tubes ok?
i was told to have them on for 3 hours a day.. i now know thats soooo wrong 10 hours better?

Substrate: whats the best substrate to buy????

It looks like the Jewel 180 is 180 Liters, which would be approximately 45 gallons. With 60 watts you would have roughtly 1.5WPG and medium low light. This will give you a nice amount of light without demanding a lot of care. I'd aim for between 8-10 hours each day on a timer so that you plants get consistancy.

There are lots of great substrate options out there. It really depends on what your goals are. With your lighting, I wouldn't advise going all out on an expensive plants substrate.

Back
Top Bottom