Aquarium plants that are safe for cats?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lesenochek

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a curious cat that is addicted to drinking from our aquarium (fresh water). I believe it's hurting her, so we are going to get a cover.

However, she is not interested in drinking from her bowl and I would like to set up a tank for her that she could drink from with some aquarium plants.

Could you recommend the cat safe plants to put in there, please?

I'd invest in a glass lid.

Also, pet hair in your aquarium is rather annoying. I have 3 large horses (I mean dogs!) and a cat.

I would just use fake plants so you won't have to worry. I don't think there are any plants that would hurt your cat but I'm not 100% sure.

Thank you for your replies.

My cat likes drinking from vases, flower pots and especially from the aquarium, because she is attracted to the plants in them.

I read that many of the aquarium plants are toxic for cats and I would like to know which ones are safe.

Cats Drinking Tank Water

I have a curious cat that is addicted to drinking from our aquarium (fresh water). I believe it's hurting her, so we are going to get a cover.

However, she is not interested in drinking from her bowl and I would like to set up a tank for her that she could drink from with some aquarium plants.

Could you recommend the cat safe plants to put in there, please?

Hello les...

If you're doing a good job of taking care of the tank, there shouldn't be anything to be concerned about. If the water is safe for your fish, it's safe for your cat. Are you putting medications into the tank water? If this is the situation, then cover the tank. There are several companies that make glass, bi fold canopies for fish tanks.

We have 8 indoor cats and 5 large tanks and the cats drink from the tanks from time to time, but I change the water frequently and never put medications into the tank water. I don't think you need to set up a separate tank.

B

Yes, we take care of the aquarium and the fishes are doing good.
So, if it is safe for the cat, maybe, we should let her drink from it, since it's almost the only thing she wants to drink from.

Cats Drinking Tank Water

Yes, we take care of the aquarium and the fishes are doing good.
So, if it is safe for the cat, maybe, we should let her drink from it, since it's almost the only thing she wants to drink from.

Hello again les...

Our cats drink from the tank because the sound of the running water from the filters tells them there's fresh water available, even though it might not be that fresh. We got them a drinking fountain from the local pet store. It does the same thing as the tank filter system, it cycles the water through the fountain and has a small waterfall that makes a splashing sound. The cats love it. They drink from the water fall and for some reason, they think they're drinking fresh water. Of course you have to clean the fountain regularly because of all the cat hair and the occasional piece of food that gets dropped into it. You may just need to get one of those cat drinking fountains.

B

I did the sane thing as B, they love the fountain and seem to leave my tanks alone.. I feel a cat is smart enough to avoid any water source that does not smell or taste safe to them.. Unless of course a life or death situation... In which case I'd be right there next em slurping up some tank water too..

This is hilarious. I'm a mean cat mom on this one. "No Willow, I don't want your gray furries floating in my tank!" She still tries though, haha.

We've tried the fountain. She drank from it once and lost interest. She never looked it it again. I kept the fountain for about a month. Cleaned it and refilled it regularly. It got so noisy, I could not stand it anymore. I would have kept it if Roxy drank from it, but she did not, so I brought it back to the Pet Smart.

Your cat is telling you something about your tap water that you may want to listen to.

My three cats are exactly the same. They will drank from the tanks. They will drink out of a completely filthy bucket of tank water that I used to clean filter media. They will drink the waste laden water that I remove from the tanks to fill my plant containers. Nothing to do with running water either. Fresh tap? Nope. Filtered tap? No either. Bottled spring? Only if they have no other choice. Rainwater? Preferred but not always accessible.

The fish water is treated to remove chemicals from the tap (chlorine/chloramine, heavy metals, etc). Plants help to further 'treat' it. My city tap ranks fairly poorly in respect to its overall quality and my cats basically pointed this fact out over a decade ago when we moved to our present home. Moral of the story? I don't drink our tap water anymore either. ;)

+1 for covering the tank. I was going to suggest a fountain. Perhaps try a different brand ?

There are two main styles. One is a smooth flow and one splashes onto a plastic "rock". Perhaps try the other style and keep the receipt.

Aquarium plants should not hurt your cat. If you want to set up a 5g with just plants and maybe shrimp as the cat bowl...I guess try it.

If your cat is acting sick take it to the Vet.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom