Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-18-2017, 04:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Aquarium salt in a planted tank

I have a 75-gallon planted tank that has been set up for about 3-4 months now and was wanting to know if using salt was a good or bad idea. I was at the LFS getting some German Blue Rams and the guy strongly recommended that I use salt especially for my Mollies. I know using salt can help with stress and is good for the fish. I have lost a few fish since setting up the tank so I want to do everything I can to help the fish. But I've also read that using salt is bad for the plants and I don't want to kill the plants off.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Using Aquarium Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toillion View Post
I have a 75-gallon planted tank that has been set up for about 3-4 months now and was wanting to know if using salt was a good or bad idea. I was at the LFS getting some German Blue Rams and the guy strongly recommended that I use salt especially for my Mollies. I know using salt can help with stress and is good for the fish. I have lost a few fish since setting up the tank so I want to do everything I can to help the fish. But I've also read that using salt is bad for the plants and I don't want to kill the plants off.
Hello Toi...

This is up to you. If you maintain an extremely clean tank with large, regular water changes, you probably don't need it. I've used a teaspoon or two in every five gallons of treated replacement water with good results and I change half or more of the water in my tanks that require it.

If you keep the amount of aquarium salt low, roughly a teaspoon or a bit more in every 5 gallons of new water, your aquatic plants will be fine.

B

Old 10-20-2017, 12:53 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Apart from your plants one thing is that German blue rams are sensitive fish. I don't know if they will like salt. You have a Planted tank which is ideal for them. If I were you I would not put salt in tank. Freshwater fish means freshwater. I learned this after some time that salt should not be added. Yes many hobbyist do put salt but I am not in favor. Mainly purpose of salt is to prevent fish from disease but I believe pristine water is solution for all problems. Rams do need clean water so you have to keep your tank clean anyway so I don't think you need any salt in your tank. Again I am not expert but its my opinion.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:26 AM   #4
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Would be curious if you tried it. On tests here, my plant cuttings donít like salt but I believe other plants / tanks can handle low salt levels (also our tap water is apparently a little high relatively in salt to rest of Perth so may not have helped me).

Through ferts dosing my gh lifted anyways so I donít bother with any salt dosing though.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:58 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank ya'll for the input! I think I'll go ahead and pass on using salt or use very little and just continue to keep the tank clean with regular water changes.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:19 AM   #6
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

If you try it out in a test bucket on plant cuttings that might give some insights.

Tags
aquarium, aquarium salt, plant, planted, planted tank, salt, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com