Aquarium salt with AMAZON SWORD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EndlersEatGuppies

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello everyone I have an amazon sword and may be getting hornwort. I have heard salt can harm the live plants is this true.

Please be descriptive.

Fishman13 said:
Hello everyone I have an amazon sword and may be getting hornwort. I have heard salt can harm the live plants is this true.

Please be descriptive.

Help please

Fishman13 said:

Please be descriptive.

Salt is hard on plants IMO. Use of salt other than for a med treatment really isn't needed anyway. If you're doing a brackish setup there are certain plants that can be acclimated to it. I think plantgeek.net has a section on it.

Ok, because when I bought my amazon sword it was so green and filled with leaves now its very little green and a few leaves

Fishman13 said:
Ok, because when I bought my amazon sword it was so green and filled with leaves now its very little green and a few leaves

I'd cut the salt out myself. To do so, it needs to be manuallly removed thru multiple PWC and vacuuming the substrate. IME evaporation or filtration doesn't do it, although carbon might help.

I'd cut the salt out myself. To do so, it needs to be manuallly removed thru multiple PWC and vacuuming the substrate. IME evaporation or filtration doesn't do it, although carbon might help.

The thing is i need it for my Molly.

I think there could be other reasons why your Sword is dying. How's the lighting? Are you using fertilizers?

Fishman13 said:
someone else on AA told me that i would be fine if i put the right amount? is this wrong what does everyone else think??

:2gunfire: :slurp:

Don't know what to tell you, but I trust plantgeek since that's their forte. Google might have a different take. If you find anything please post it. I'm setting up a brackish DT for GSP.

I'm not an expert in this area but you probably need to give the plant a few days under the new lights to see if that helps. However, if salt is bad for that plant that could very well be the problem. Like I said I'm not an expert on this but if it was me I'd probably do a PWC to remove some of the salt and give it a few days under the new lights. Maybe someone with a little more knowledge will be around later with some more advice.

I'm not an expert in this area but you probably need to give the plant a few days under the new lights to see if that helps. However, if salt is bad for that plant that could very well be the problem. Like I said I'm not an expert on this but if it was me I'd probably do a PWC to remove some of the salt and give it a few days under the new lights. Maybe someone with a little more knowledge will be around later with some more advice.

hopefully

Plants aren't going to rebound over night, if they recover at all. You have just recently swapped the bulbs. Give it time. Trim off the dying/dead stuff. This way the plant isn't using energy directed towards the stuff that isn't going to make it.

Salt is bad for almost all aquarium plants, for the same reason it is bad for humans... osmosis.

Plants aren't going to rebound over night, if they recover at all. You have just recently swapped the bulbs. Give it time. Trim off the dying/dead stuff. This way the plant isn't using energy directed towards the stuff that isn't going to make it.

Salt is bad for almost all aquarium plants, for the same reason it is bad for humans... osmosis.

ok thanks but would it really have a large impact on the plant?

alright so what should i do because my molly needs the API aquarium
large-api%20aquarium%20salt.jpg
salt

Back
Top Bottom