Aquascape Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your tank looks really good.
Here s what I ve learned from the forum ( I m no expert here, so hopefully others will chime in).... Lo to med plants need 6500 to 10000k, you need to use a carbon source daily (Excell or gluterhyde sp?) & to avoid algae, run lights 6 hrs a day. Best of luck & again, you ve done a nice job there :).

Thx Rodeo. I'm definitely going to be adding Excel and macro ferts as well. I'm currently researching EI and PPS-Pro to decide which method I'm going to use. When you say plants need 6,500 - 10,000k do you mean anywhere in that range or they need the full range? Meaning should I change one of my bulbs to 6500?

Looks really nice!
Thanks Brookster! I appreciate it.

10,000k is just the spectrum rating of the bulb. You want it at 6500k
Thx for the feedback. I guess I will ask you the same question I asked Rodeo....are you saying just 6,500 or the full range?

You said you had a 10,000K and an actinic. While at the upper range, the 10,000K bulb is still useful to plants. No need in wasting that bulb since you already have it. The actinic is useless for plants. The most common K temps for fluorescent bulbs is in 5000k, 6000K, 6300K, 6700K, 8000K & 10, 000K. The lower the K the redder the color of light.
A good bulb will have many different wavelengths within a specified range but they list the most predominant one on the bulb. There is no bulb I know of that has the 5000K to 10,000K range all in one. Hope this helps. Os.

Thanks OS. But I actually have two 10,000k daylight bulbs. I used to have an actinic but I replaced it. So what I am wondering is if I should keep one 10,000k and change the other to a 6,500k? Thx

IMO with one 6000 to 6700K bulb to go with your 10,000K you would see any yellows, oranges and reds really pop. Save the other 10,000K as a backup. Try one and see if you like it. OS.

Wow your tank is amazing! The plants and decoration placement is just WOW! How long did it take for the plants to grow that size? :)

Wow your tank is amazing! The plants and decoration placement is just WOW! How long did it take for the plants to grow that size? :)

Thanks Nat!! I set-up the tank about 4 months ago and it has been planted for about that long. Most of the plants actually haven't grown that much because they are slow growers. The Java Fern you see on the driftwood in the middle of the tank has actually grown pretty quickly for a slow growing plant. :lol:

I thought I would update this thread. Here is an updated pic of the tank...

Since I last updated I changed the bulbs on my T5 HO to two 6,700k. I really like the look of this light better than the 10,000k...but I guess that is just a personal preference. I have also started dosing dry ferts and using Excel on a daily basis. I'm using a lean version of EI as my dosing regiment. Anyhow, any comments/feedback would be welcome. Thanks!!

Very Nice. I like it! Whats the plant in the front left corner? Looks like micro sword kinda but I know it's not.

Thanks! Are you talking about this plant....

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/plant-id-292213.html#post2779523

I'm not 100% sure myself. LOL When I asked for held ID'ing it (on this forum and others) most of the responses I got back were Argentine Sword. It sort of looks like it but I didn't really think that's what it was. But I was also told that the leaves can look different depending on how its grown. So who knows...sorry I can't be more help. Its the only plant I have that I can't ID.

The tank is progressing along nicely. The Wisteria and Pennywort have been growing like crazy. I was starting to see some GSA but I think I have it under control. I was also noticing what I think is brown dust algae (which I think is also called diatoms) but my Nerites have been working on it. I have also adjusted my photoperiod to 8 hours from 9 and scaled back a bit on dosing levels and that has also really seemed to help.

Ok picture time....

Here is a current tank shot...

I recently added a Crypt Wendtii and am trying to see if I can get to attach to driftwood. It seems to be doing well but it hasn't attached yet. In fact there have been a few individual pieces that I have found floating so I have put those in the substrate. Not sure how this experiment will turn out but I'm giving it more time. On a positive note it hasn't shown any signs of melting! :)

There are a few additions since the last time I posted. I added some really nice looking red Broadleaf Ludwigia. It's a little hidden behind the Wisteria and driftwood but hopefully it will fill in and provide some nice contrast. Here is a close up ...

I also added a piece of driftwood I recently bought. I covered it will Java Fern leaflets, all of which I got from my tank. Here is how it looked when I finished it and then in the tank....

That's all for now. Any feedback is welcome.

Rak, your scape is one of the nicest I've seen on AA. The blend of colors and textures is stunning. This is definitely a candidate for tank of the month. Congratulations. I'm a fan and following. OS.

:thanks: Wow, thanks OS!! I really appreciate it!! I have really enjoyed getting the tank to where it is today. When I first started out I never expected to enjoy scaping the way I do now! I figured I would throw in some wood and plants to make the fish happy. It has turned into way more than that for me.

Plant growth has been pretty good. The Wisteria and Pennywort have been growing like crazy. Before I took this picture I did some serious pruning of the Pennywort...there was nearly twice as much as there is in this picture.

Left side shot with my Gold Gourami hiding in her favorite spot...

Right side (sorry for the crappy composition
laugh.png
).....

The Crypt is doing well in the substrate (no melting despite all the moving around)...

And the award for best come back goes to the Dwarf Lily! I thought it was done for sure when all the stems fell off and it was just a bare bulb. I was close to throwing it out when I noticed the tiniest little stem poking through. The growth has exploded in the past few weeks.

I'm still dealing with some algae issues. Mainly GSA on a couple of the Anubias and diatoms on the Pennywort leaves closest to the surface. Nothing too terrible all things considered. I'm considering reducing the photo period from 8 hours to 7 to see if that makes a difference. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Back
Top Bottom