Aquascape criticism

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can I have some criticisms or tips? This is my first time aquascaping.

image-1101008338.jpg

image-2176119441.jpg

I went kinda crazy on the anacharis :/

Attachments

• image-1039653684.jpg
    image-1039653684.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 114
  • image-168648073.jpg
    image-168648073.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 110
  • image-3659754088.jpg
    image-3659754088.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 103
  • image-218269478.jpg
    image-218269478.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 142
Ya that is a lot I'd try and hide some of those in the back and get another nice big piece of wood or maybe rock and some other plants. All in all it looks like a good start, its about how mine looked at first.

Andrew McFadden said:
Ya that is a lot I'd try and hide some of those in the back and get another nice big piece of wood or maybe rock and some other plants. All in all it looks like a good start, its about how mine looked at first.

Hey thanks I'm gonna change it and post.

Try securing them together in 3 or 4 stems together then plant together as one bunch in a corner. Let them grow and add mid and foreground plants.

Philly33 said:
Try securing them together in 3 or 4 stems together then plant together as one bunch in a corner. Let them grow and add mid and foreground plants.

Like with a rubber band?

How's this for a concept? I wanna find a way to secure those driftwoods together. Maybe glue?

image-3335868655.jpg

image-1338574923.jpg

AaronW said:
Like with a rubber band?

How's this for a concept? I wanna find a way to secure those driftwoods together. Maybe glue?

I like that but don't leave the rest of the tank empty. I tie mine with zip ties and hide with moss and other plants

Yeah youre right. I really like the moss idea. What should I add in the empty space? I want my Pictus cats to have room to swim around. And I need a lot of hiding spots for my eel. How can I make multiple caves in one section of the scape?

AaronW said:
Yeah youre right. I really like the moss idea. What should I add in the empty space? I want my Pictus cats to have room to swim around. And I need a lot of hiding spots for my eel. How can I make multiple caves in one section of the scape?

Is what we see all we are working with or do you have other decor? My cats hide a lot during the day so I wouldn't be to worried about them. The eel on the other hand needs stuff like rocks, pvc, driftwood and/or clay pots

I have other decor. But this is all I have for now. I'm cycling this tank. My eel has a cave he likes and a rock with a lot of holes. I can bury the PVC in the sand? I want this to look as natural as possible. I think I have an idea for the PVC cave that's gonna be really cool.

All I can say is try it all different ways. You can add a thin layer of silicone on pvc and put sand on it. If it was me I'd add some rock to it to make some caves

Andrew McFadden said:
All I can say is try it all different ways. You can add a thin layer of silicone on pvc and put sand on it. If it was me I'd add some rock to it to make some caves

That's a good idea. I was thinking of burying the PVC under the sand. Then marking the with gravel and rock to create a cave effect. Cause I wanna put another piece of rock or driftwood.

AaronW said:
That's a good idea. I was thinking of burying the PVC under the sand. Then marking the with gravel and rock to create a cave effect. Cause I wanna put another piece of rock or driftwood.

Some people use the clay pots and break part of the top then flip it over and put in the tank then pile rocks all around it so you can't see it

I'd bunch all of them together (rubber band or thread) in the left corner to hide your heater. It will grown and bend over the top and look good. Don't secure the bogwood in case you get bored. I move mine around when I get bored. Try jungle Val in the opposite corner and slowly add mid and foreground.

Attachments

• image-4143575717.jpg
    image-4143575717.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 142
  • image-1106210428.jpg
    image-1106210428.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 125
  • image-833577096.jpg
    image-833577096.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 121
First there is the hardscape (wood,rocks,etc). If you move the large piece over about three inches and the smaller piece about four, then add a smaller piece of wood just behind and to the left of your small piece. That would give you some depth. Then find some 1-3 inch pebbles to build around the base of the wood in small patches.
As for the plants, keep the anacerus in two maybe three patches, about 1/2 of an inch apart, allowing them a little room to grow, the amount isn't bad, it's the spacing. Add maybe 3-4 more types of plants, lots of them, don't worry about the cory cats they will have plenty of room and they will love the cover

image-3335605293.jpg

This is the hardscape

Attachments

• image-1197436252.jpg
    image-1197436252.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 100
image-1448442146.jpg

The plants will fill in, so don't worry about how it looks for the first month or two. You want final product

Attachments

• image-826923224.jpg
    image-826923224.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 101
Philly33 said:
I'd bunch all of them together (rubber band or thread) in the left corner to hide your heater. It will grown and bend over the top and look good. Don't secure the bogwood in case you get bored. I move mine around when I get bored. Try jungle Val in the opposite corner and slowly add mid and foreground.

Ok. Lol I get bored quick too! The only thing I'm gonna secure the anacharis and hide the heater. What do you mean add to the mid ground and for ground? And with what?

FishWorks AK said:
First there is the hardscape (wood,rocks,etc). If you move the large piece over about three inches and the smaller piece about four, then add a smaller piece of wood just behind and to the left of your small piece. That would give you some depth. Then find some 1-3 inch pebbles to build around the base of the wood in small patches.
As for the plants, keep the anacerus in two maybe three patches, about 1/2 of an inch apart, allowing them a little room to grow, the amount isn't bad, it's the spacing. Add maybe 3-4 more types of plants, lots of them, don't worry about the cory cats they will have plenty of room and they will love the cover

When you say move over, do you mean to the left or the right? I'll fix my spacing with the plants when after I get off work I'll bunch them together like you said.

AaronW said:
Can I have some criticisms or tips? This is my first time aquascaping.

I went kinda crazy on the anacharis :/

I was referring to this picture, and I would go I the right. Studies show that the eye likes seeing the focal point just left or just right of center ..!... Or ...!.. I really like how you had the two pieces together, I think I would do that for the focal point and buy a few more small pieces to compliment that

Back
Top Bottom