Aquascaping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flitabout

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just can't seem to get my tank where I am happy with it for more than a week or two. I know I need to wait and give it time for the plants to grow and fill in to give me the look I am going for. But I still can't help wanting to rip everything up and start again. I can't be the only one who feels this way.

I just can't seem to get my tank where I am happy with it for more than a week or two. I know I need to wait and give it time for the plants to grow and fill in to give me the look I am going for. But I still can't help wanting to rip everything up and start again. I can't be the only one who feels this way.

Welcome to the hobby. I know exactly what your going through

You have to resist doing it as your never giving it a chance to really fill in so you can really get an idea of how it looks. When I do a scape I leave it a good month and in that time I study and get an idea of what might look better. I don't mean whole new scapes but maybe one group of plants would look better next to different group of plants. The trick is using different size and shaped leaves with different colors side by side so each plant grouping stands out from the plant groups around them.

Here's an example from one of my tanks... Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Rivercats's Album: 220g update 12/18/12 - Picture

It's not the whole tank but like the telenthera cardinalis that I got a few weeks ago in one of those little packs from petsmart. This batch has just absolutely taken off. I didn't realize that it was going to get so tall so fast. I realized that where I had them just wasn't going to work. They where so little that I stuck them in with the carpeting plants. So last night I pulled most of them up and then bunched them closer together so they are in front of and in back of my dw and in front of the swords. But I still gave them about an inch to an inch and a half so they had some room to fill in. I took my half dead anubia out of the tank all together until it's a bit healthier. Trimmed the wisteria and planted some of the cuttings. So as I sit here I am thinking about what other plants would look good in here while I wait for the others to grow.
So any ideas on what I should plant next?

I'd remove the wisteria in the front left and get something different with good color. Rotala Mini Butterfly would look really good there. And honestly were it my tank the wisteria in the back would go and I'd put Limnophila hippuroides in there.

I just ordered the Limnophila hippuroides from aquariumplants.com But I am having a bit of trouble finding the rotala mini butterfly. Any suggestions?

You can almost always find it on The planted tank for sale page but I think you need to join up first to access it.

I just ordered the Limnophila hippuroides from aquariumplants.com But I am having a bit of trouble finding the rotala mini butterfly. Any suggestions?

I have some (or what was sold as it) in my low-light tank, so it's growing but it's green. As soon as I get ferts for my medium-highlight tank ill have some for sale.

Back
Top Bottom