Aquasoil Amazonia!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

travis simonson

Aquarium Advice Addict
OK, I've had this stuff for four months now and I've finally found time to redo my 30G tank with it. For those not familiar with this substrate it is produced by AquaDesignAmano (ADA) and is prized for it's ability to grow some the most difficult plants available.

I come to this substrate by way of my man czcz (Joe) who has been using it for some time now. I can't tell you how excited I am to be finally using this marvelous stuff. Thanks for the recommendation Joe :)

I purchased my Aquasoil Amazonia from Jeff Senske at Aquarium Design Group in Houston. It is imported from Japan, but from what I understand there are now multiple suppliers, so check around if you're interested.

Aquasoil is only part of the substrate solution from ADA. I also used an ADA product called PowerSand Special. It is a porous volcanic rock that is impregnated with nutrients and peat (to lower the pH of the water) that is designed to sit beneath the Aquasoil and provide macronutrients to the plants. I'm still a newbie when it comes to this stuff so keep watching this thread if you're interested in knowing how well it works for me and if it's actually worth it to use the PowerSand in conjuction with the Aquasoil.

The Aquasoil itself is amazing. In building this tank I first put down a thin layer of the Powersand and then covered it with granular Aquasoil. I then put down a top layer of powdered Aquasoil, almost like a large-grained sand. I wasn't sure what to think until I filled the tank and began planting. Holy lords of light! That stuff is amazing. Every plant I put into was held firmly and did not even consider floating out. I can only think that Takashi Amano spent untold hours researching granularity to find something that grabs stems like this stuff. It is simply unreal. I've used just about every substrate known in the hobby and this stuff makes them all look weak. I am absolutely, unbelievably, totally impressed. Thanks again Joe :)

Well, it's been two days now and it's too early to say if the stuff is as good as all the hype, but I am expecting great things. Like I said, if you're even remotely interested to know if this stuff works like they claim, keep your eye on this thread. I will update as things progress.

By the way, this is a 30 gallon tank with 96w of 50/50 6700K/10000K light and pressurized CO2. I keep strictly killifish in it and am planning on growing Tonina, Eriocaulon, Rotala, and anything else that may be interesting. I just can't wait to play :D

Here's a pic of the intial setup:

Grow_Out_280706_x800.jpg

looking good travis. nice selection of plants the colours work good together. i cant wait to see the results and u are the perfect person to test it all out since u have the natural green thumb. if u dont like it i am sure nobody will lol. i cant wait for the updates.

I find it amazing how good your "just planted" tank looks. It's no wonder that you end up with such spectacular results. I look forward to seeing updates as it fills in.

Are you planning on any sort of foreground plant? Which killifish are you keeping in the tank? Would you mind listing out the plants that you currently have in the tank? I recognize the Ammania sp "Bonsai" (Rotala Indica), Crypts, and Anubias (probably Nana?) but most of the rest aren't ringing any bells.

Thanks guys :) I didn't even try to aquascape this one, I'm going to use purely for growing things (if I can). All I did was to put the tall plants in the back corners and the tricky ones in front so I can watch them :p

Currently I'm only keeping Florida Flag Fish (Jordanella floridae) which are one of the most common killifish, but I'm planning on adding some of the harder to find varieties. The Flag Fish have been breeding and there are many tiny little fry and they are just so cute :) They look like little bulldogs with their funky underbites :p

Plants are (from back left and left to right and then round again :p ): Cyperus helferi, Limnophila aromatica, Cryptocoryne ciliata, Hydrocotyle sibthorpioides, Alternanthera reineckii "Sunset", Eichornia diversifolia, Isoetes japonica, Blyxa japonica, Cryptocoryne nurii (my favorite plant and the hardest thing I've ever tried to grow), Cryptocoryne blasii, Ammania sp. "Bonsai", Ludwigia glandulosa, Didiplis diandra, Hemianthus micranthemoides "Erect", Microsorum pteropus "Needle Leaf", Microsorum pteropus "Windelov", Echinodorous quadricostatus, and finally plain old Anubias nana :)

ADA Aqua Soil is just amazing isn't it,I LOVE it.It's my favorite substrate =].Joe also got me into using it and I am thankful.You should try out some Erios,they grow great in AS,not that demandive,but like high light and they grow reeaal well in AS.I'll be watching this as well.

I have to weigh in here too. I took out the front third of my eco complete thank and put in aquasoil (only the granular, tho now i"m curious about the powder) and also used it in a little lowlight frog tank. It is just a lovely substraight..

it isn't miracle rock tho. I actually had to go 2 weeks without careful tending of the tank and my rotala mac did horrilby without my additional ferts (I do not use power sand )..

It does release ammonia in the beginning so it is best NOT to use fish for the first few weeks and it absolutely eats carbonate in the water, so my 1.5 kh water is closer to 0 kh right now and running under co2 as ph 5.7.

I have been using the ADA Soil for a few months. It sure is some nice substrate to work with. Even before you add water, it has a rich soil like feel to it. I like that it is not hard, it won't scratch your tank, or weardown the whiskers on my Cory cats.

As for growing plants. Most plants develop really nice root system in it. My Eriocaulons and Tonia are thriving.

Going to be another beautiful tank. Travis, you couldn't do a bad tank if you tried! The ADA soil sounds cool, gonna have to give this stuff a try.

Well I just received a shipment of rare plants to test the Aquasoil with from a nameless benefactor :roll: and have them in the new substrate. I am so excited to see how they grow because I've had little luck with several of them previously in a non-Aquasoil tank. Thanks again nameless benefactor :roll:

UPDATE:

Received plants from unnamed benefactor *ahem* and they are thriving. This stuff is even better than I expected :D

I have not been dosing since I'm using both Powersand Special and Aquasoil and have been told that will provide all necessary nutrients. I was worried so I tested the water this morning with my LaMotte kits. Holy lords of perfection!!! NO3=10 ppm and PO4=.2 ppm. Without dosing! This stuff is not only the nicest substrate I have ever played with but it maintains nearly perfect nutrient balance in the tank without dosing. What could be easier. I am dumbfounded . . . :p

btw "benefactor" the Eriocaulon is simply thriving along with the R. wallichii and the R. sp. "Vietnam." Crikey!!!

Growing plants in this stuff is like falling off a log :p

And, oh, I just ordered another 96w CF fixture from the brilliant people at www.ahsupply.com to toss into the hood for this 30G-low tank. That should give me 192w over a 30G-low tank for a grand total of 6.4 wpg. Wish me luck :)

And if anyone is interested in building their own hoods I cannot recommend the fine people at AH Supply enough. They have simply the best reflectors man can make. I just got off of the phone with Kim at their office and he explained how they designed the reflectors using ray-tracing software and CAD applications. Amazing stuff :)

Oh, this story just keeps getting better. I placed the order for the lights this morning (Friday) and just received an email from AH Supply telling me that I should receive the light kit on Monday or Tuesday via Priority Mail. And I only paid $8 something for shipping. Dang, those guys just rule. Cannot recommend their service enough :D

Yeah, they are good. They'll send you every piece of wire you could possibly need to put the thing together too. They give you lengths that are plently long enough as well. I had a very good experience ordering from them.

lol it looks like u are talkng to yourself on this post travis. your plants are going to love the light but you should have fun catching up with the ferts after all that light is pumping. looking foreward to the pics.

Back
Top Bottom