Aquatek co2 system help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dallascowboys16

Aquarium Advice Addict
:bang head: This has been a lot harder than i thought it would be. first of all i broke by bubble counter and I'm having a hard time setting up the system so it doesn't slowley lose pressure and eventually stop, and then have to adjust the needle valve and output valves. Can some other owners help me? Its also on a 5 gallon co2 tank if that matters. Thanks in advance.

I don't have a CO2 cylinder yet, but I have worked on gas systems. Make sure everything is sealed tight but not over tight. Check your connection with soap water to see if there is a leak.

Ok ill check on that… should that keep a consistent amount of co2 coming through the diffuser? my problem is that is that the amount of co2 coming through slowly decreases until there is no more but a little almost microscopic bubble stream.

You can always attach something to check pressure down the line to determine pressure loss from solenoid to diffuser.

make sure that the valve on the 5# cylinder is opened enough. I had the same problem before and that's what it was. In the video from Aquatek he says to turn it a couple of turns, it doesn't have to be all the way open but open enough. Barely opened won't work. That's my experience anyway. Hope you get it figured out!

Run your operating pressure at around 20psi. Then adjust the needle valve for the flow into the tank. If your pressure keeps dropping off, that suggests a small leak somewhere in the system. Like posted earlier, mix up some soapy water, and check for leaks. As far as the amount of CO2 in the tank, your drop checker will give you an idea of the concentration.

Aquatek regulators are notorious for fluctuating working pressure. I went through 3 of there premium regulators before I gave up. The only thing that made the pressure fluctuate less was crank It up to 60 psi, but then it's difficult to adjust.

Entry level regulators and needle valves are known to not be as high precision as systems that are more expensive (i.e. GLA regulators), so I try to limit my expectations. IME owning 3 aquatek mini regulators, the bubble count can fluctuate from what you last set it to, especially after initial setup on a new regulator. The mini regulators don't have adjustable working pressure as their full-sized siblings, but from what I've seen from those who own them, coupled with my experience, they eventually start staying on the BPS rate you set them on after an unexplained 'break in' period. Just today I had to readjust a needle valve on 1 of 3 of them back to 2 BPS. I had it on 2 BPS about two days ago... today it was less than 1 bps on a 80% full paintball CO2 tank.

It doesn't bother me all that much. I've come to expect this less than perfect performance due to the value in which I've paid for them. I just make it part of my routines to fertilize, check CO2 levels (bps and such), and feed the fish... everyday.

Back
Top Bottom