Aquatek Premium or Deluxe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jessy2363

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, I am going to purchase either one of these co2 regulators with solenoid attached. I have never used pressurised co2 before so am pretty excited. Which one would you choose and why? I don't understand all the components of each, I think the deluxe one has a thing called a flow rate meter..Is that instead of a bubble counter?
Below are the two links

Amazon.com : Premium AQUATEK CO2 Regulator with Integrated COOL TOUCH Solenoid : Aquarium Treatments : Pet Supplies
http://www.amazon.com/AQUATEK-Regul...e=UTF8&qid=1432548115&sr=8-3&keywords=aquatek

According to the reviews you need quite a strong flow to get the ball in the flow meter to even budge. It requires a stronger flow than what most planted tanks require.

I have the premium, no real complaints other than the sensitivity of the needle valve. I'd go with the premium and the bubble counter.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

+1 on the premium, I have 3 of them and they have been decent regs. Like stated the needle valves are a little sensitive.

Premium is good with me, needle valve needs attention from time to time but nothing major .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Since you seem a little confused on the components of the CO2 setup and what they are for, here is a great write-up to help you understand a little more about it:

Setting up a CO2 system

You will really enjoy having a pressurized setup. One of the best things I have done to my planted aquarium.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I have decided to go with the premium as the idea I'm getting from your replies is that there is no real benefit in getting the deluxe over the premium for my needs. Am ordering next pay (2 weeks away). I can't wait!

Thanks everyone for the advice. I have decided to go with the premium as the idea I'm getting from your replies is that there is no real benefit in getting the deluxe over the premium for my needs. Am ordering next pay (2 weeks away). I can't wait!

Congrats! When it comes to setting it up and adjusting it, I'm sure there will be no shortage of advice (here).
+1 with the previous post about the impact it has had on my planted tank (not to mention the demise of 5 gorgeous furcata rainbows ?).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's what I got it for on Amazon. Maybe keep shopping around, the $130 in the link you posted seems awfully expensive.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

unfortunately I have to pay that price as I am in New Zealand and I have to click the button that limits my search to sellers to will ship to NZ, which is not usually the cheap option, then I need to take into account the exchange rate. I'm actually up for $159 NZD including postage:( Same with ebay. I always need to check if they will ship my way. You people from the US are blessed with the best bargains and the best medications. I have to pester vets to get anything decent as almost everything is banned here.

Congrats! When it comes to setting it up and adjusting it, I'm sure there will be no shortage of advice (here).
+1 with the previous post about the impact it has had on my planted tank (not to mention the demise of 5 gorgeous furcata rainbows ?).

Did you accidentally turn it up too much and suffocate them? What did the drop checker say? I'm really afraid of doing that to my fish with co2 which is why I can't be botherd with DIY anymore. I almost did it with flourish excel! I came home and the tank looked like a cloud had taken over it and the fish were gasping for air. All my tetra's had lost their colour and one died. I was very lucky I didn't loose more.

Did you accidentally turn it up too much and suffocate them? What did the drop checker say? I'm really afraid of doing that to my fish with co2 which is why I can't be botherd with DIY anymore. I almost did it with flourish excel! I came home and the tank looked like a cloud had taken over it and the fish were gasping for air. All my tetra's had lost their colour and one died. I was very lucky I didn't loose more.

I was not watching it too closely; most likely made an adjustment to increase it and did not monitor it. Went from 1-2 bps to 5+ bps; drop checker was yellow. 1 fish dead, 1 missing, others followed in the next few days. Other non-rainbow fish were fine. DIY is pretty safe because the output is typically on the low side.

Back
Top Bottom