Aquatic or Not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
img_791397_0_fea9d03958436d80931bd74de20aceb7.jpg

I bought these plants three months ago from PetCo in their tube plant section. Whenever I showed pictures of my tank, people mentioned they might not be aquatic and could possibly rot. It's been three months and as you can see they look great and have roots. The only browness on them is a bit of algae. I was at PetSmart and noted they had plants that looked similar called Ribbon Plants. I didn't write down the formal name of the plant so I can't tell what it is exactly.

The plants seem to be doing fine. If they haven't rotted yet, does that mean things are okay? Can anyone confirm or deny that these plants are non aquatic?

What is the time that plants normally start deteriorate? I'm just curious as it's been three months and the plants look awesome still. I wonder where I can replant these plants.

I bought some "aquatic" plants at Petco that later turned out to be "splash zone" plants, meaning only survive emersed, not submersed. Mine lasted 2 weeks then the leaves started melting and turning stringy. When I returned them, they were still ok in the Petco tanks, but didn't look as good any longer - you must have a good plant!

Jchillin, that looks nothing like the plants I posted the picture of above. It's not a great picture, but there are no real stems on these leaves. I guess the name Ribbon Plant is apt, because it looks like strands of ribbon rolling off a main stalk.

I'm pretty sure it's not true aquatic, as the leaves are kind of waxy, a feature plants have in dryer environments to prevent water loss when it's hot.

lol, not that either bill. I have had that as a terrestrial plant before too, leaves are more like a succulant plant than this one.

Guess this is where my dry green thumb comes in handy, if only i could remember the name...

Actually, i went around the house looking in all of my mom's planters, and i found that plant ans snapped a few shots of it. I looked on the tag for the plant and all it said was "tropical foliage" so thats no help. This one is fairly large.

It looks a tad different, but thats probably from light differences and the fact that yours was grown underwater.

img_791451_0_9360bd223f40cf8af4692966430e15d2.jpg

img_791451_1_ce363cc207684b84f56762fb40b99dc0.jpg

I took the liberty of flipping the pic so it is vertical. I can't say for sure, do you see the darker colors in the leaves in the pic? I can't tell.

Attachments

• img_3078_116.jpg
    img_3078_116.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 160
That is pretty close to what my plants look like. They really haven't grown much, just roots. So partially aquatic it seems. Maybe I'll create a crab tank with these plants' bottoms in the water.

Yeah, that looks about right. I pulled them out of my tank already just to be safe. I have no idea what to do with them though.

Jchillin said:
You can pot them. From what I hear, they make a wonderful plant (as noted in Jason's pics).

What? Why would I have plants that I wouldn't put in a tank? :D

Yeah, I would second a Dracena species. I looked at the picture and that jumped into my mind (houseplant lover, plant biochem experience).

Many Dracena species (such as the "lucky bamboo") will survive for a year or more without breaking down underwater. They aren't a big issue in a planted tank.

But they all make great houseplants. So don't worry about throwing them in a pot and putting it on a windowsill.

You can even grow them hydroponically if you don't want to completely get away from the tank...just let their leaves out of the water to make them happy. :) (though they probably will be happier with dirt...)

Back
Top Bottom