Aquatic Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gmanova

Aquarium Advice Activist
My LFS is not very good for plants nor did they know when they are getting more in! Are aquatic plants more abundant in the summer as opposed the wiinter months?

I don't know about seasonality of aquarium plants since most are tropical so are grown in aquariums or immersed in heated areas. I know most will disagree, but have you tried Petsmart/Petco? Some stores carry decent plants--just make sure you do some research and figure out what you want since some of what they sell is semi-aquatic and will die fully submersed (lucky bamboo, for example). Will your LFS do special orders?

A quick Internet search is all you need to find plants at great prices or check to see if there is a nearby aquarium club that you can join another way to acquire plants. Also members on here have plants to sell check the classified section. Aquabid is great look for p. Volitan on there he has amazing plants. Also join aquatic plant central I'm a member on there and we trade with each other all the time.

Planted Tank is another good one--they have vendors and folks giving away/selling extra plants all the time.

My LFS is not very good for plants nor did they know when they are getting more in! Are aquatic plants more abundant in the summer as opposed the wiinter months?

Hello g...

I recently found what I think is a good source for plants at a good price. The company's name is Alpha Pro Breeders.

Got some Anubias barteri Coffeefolia for about $3.00 per plant and those were very nice.

B

Hello again g...

Yes. All the plants have been fine. They go through the usual process of getting used to my tank environment, but Anubias is a pretty hardy plant and even though it's a slow grower, it will do well in most tank conditions.

I got 10 or so Anubias Coffeefolia plants and attached them to driftwood with light green sewing thread. I have them in relatively low light, under 6500 K aquarium plant bulbs. My tanks are very heavily stocked, so I don't need to use commercial fertilizers. I just feed my fish a balanced diet. The plants have been the tank for about a month and everything looks good.

B

I used an online company called java plants for my own aquarium. They took a while longer to arrive than i expected but they were all in good condition. (really love the plants I got)

Back
Top Bottom